Chapter 14: Same Mistakes

Katherine pulled her knees to her chest, wrapped her arms around her legs and stared up at the night sky. 

It was a cloudy night, the stars barely visible from above. The moon hung like a ball tied to a piece of string, shining brightly. 

Cold. It was the first thing Katherine felt. It was cold. 

She was sitting in front of the just-a-frame-not-a-glass in the Attic. It was about 12:00 o'clock in the evening, and she had woke up, finding that she couldn't fall asleep again. 

"Kat?" Katherine heard a muffled voice say from the door. 

She didn't say anything. 

"What're you doing? It's midnight and-"

"I couldn't sleep." She cut through. 

Silence.

"Can I come in?"

Katherine stood up and turned to face the door. Niall stood by the open door, his face unreadable in the darkness. 

"No." 

"Okay." Niall said quietly. "I'm sorry for disturbing you." 

He closed the door, and Katherine felt a pang of anger in her chest. She wasn't angry at Niall. She was angry at herself.

She ran out of the Attic, flung the door open and spotted Niall walking up to his room. 

"Look, Niall," Katherine whispered. "I'm sorry." 

"No, I get it." Niall said firmly, his back to Katherine.

"Get what?" Katherine asked confused.

"... You need your space," Niall said, sounding a bit hesitant. "I get it."

"Wha- no. It's just--"

"Don't try to explain, Katherine." Niall said, spinning around to face her. "I'm tired of it. Can't you just say it straight out to my face? No, you can't. Because I'm Niall Horan. Nobody thinks that they can actually hurt my feelings, that I'm like every other guy."

"Niall, please, let me say something," Katherine said, putting a hand on Niall's arm.

 "No," Said Niall, jerking his arm away from Katherine. "I don't want to hear it. Leave me broken, leave me alone. Explain, explain, explain. We're just playing the same old games, over and over again. It's like a broken record. We just keep going in circles. We both need to wake up- we can't get through this, okay? And don't tell me you understand me. Nobody understands me." 

Katherine felt tears well up in her eyes, rolling down her cheeks. "When it's broken, you say there's nothing to fix." She said sadly. "We're making all the same mistakes, aren't we? Niall, hear me out-"

"No." Niall said firmly, his voice quivering. He turned around and walked up to his room. "We are making the same mistakes," He muttered, loudly enough for Katherine to hear. "But we haven't got enough time or enough chances to fix them all up." 

With that, he pulled open the door to his room, went in and left Katherine standing there, tears in her eyes and sadness filling in her. 

"No more chances," She repeated sadly. "Not enough time." 

Katherine looked at the spot where Niall had been a few seconds ago.

"I'm sorry," She said one last time. 

Katherine walked in to her room and fell on to her bed, and did the one thing she rarely ever did.

She cried. She sobbed in to her pillow, wishing they had one more chance, a bit more time.

She didn't know that maybe, at that moment, as Niall stared at the ceiling of his room with tears in the corner of his eyes...

They did have one more chance.

And a bit more time.

They could find out what was wrong- but at such a price.

Such a price, indeed.

Author's Note: -gasps- Is that a cliffhanger? Beware! 

I may have copied this off their song 'Same Mistakes'- but it was for a reason. You'll find out!

-insert evil laughter here- So, for credit, I clipped in their song 'Same Mistakes' which I'm currenty listening to while writing this.

Hehe. Lots of love and hugs and those stuff, Avery