Chapter 56

"Tucker!" I call as I rock Lincoln. "You better not be getting into the garbage!"

"He's not Claire!" Carter calls back. "He was sleeping!"

"You're going to wake up Lincoln!" I reply and check to make sure he is still asleep.

"You're the one yelling right next to him," Carter says leaning in the doorway.

"I'm just stressed," I sigh. "I have to leave for Abnegation in 3 hours and this is the night Lincoln decides he can't be left alone."

"I'll stay with him," Carter says walking over to me, "you go get some sleep."

"No you have a full day of training in a few hours," I say. "You are going to bed. Going to Abnegation isn't that important."

"Seriously Claire," Carter smiles, "I've been asleep for awhile. You need a break too."

"I'll be fine," I smile and kiss his cheek. "Please just go to sleep."

After a while he finally gives in, "alright. If you need anything don't hesitate to wake me up."

Few hours later

I did manage to get an hour of sleep. Lincoln finally let me lay him down in his bed so I could go to bed. Carter didn't even stir when I got in bed, I knew he needed to sleep. He still hasn't learned that I'm always right, he just needs to have a  conversation with my dad. Oh he'd learn real quick. Anyway I have to get ready for the train that leaves in forty-five minutes. Lucky me, Abnegation is a good but bad thing. Good that I get to see my grandparents, bad that I have to see Marcus.

I get out of bed, Carter is already gone. He's probably getting Lincoln ready for me to take him to my parents. My closet is a mess. Finding matching clothes is literally a struggle every morning. Usually I'm a very organized person but since Lincoln keeps me up all hours of the day I don't have as much time to organize as I used to. The clothes I pull out are a black sweater that's longer in the back than the front, maroon jeans, and I found a maroon scarf with black designs across it. Good enough. I did take a shower last night because Henry and Colin thought they'd be funny if they dumped cake and punch on my head at the same time. I was not sleeping covered in sugar. So I slip on the clothes I pulled out and find combat boots. I slip those on before I find a ponytail in the bathroom drawer. I somewhat brush my hair, I'm to lazy to actually untangle it, and then I put it up in a messy bun. Because I'm me, I skip the whole makeup thing.

"Glad you are awake, "Carter says as he wipes off the counter. "Lincoln is fed, pancakes in the fridge and yes they are chocolate chip, if you need your coat it's in the closet."

"You sound like my mom," I laugh and kiss his cheek, "thank you though. I'll see you later tonight."

I grab a paper towel and wrap a couple pancakes up in it. "Bye Claire," Carter says kissing me, then handing my Lincoln. I smile and give him a quick hug.

"Don't frustrate my dad to much," I joke before I open the door.

"Just get to work," he jokes back.

"Bye Carter," I say and close the door behind me. "Now you get to be with Grandma all day." Once I get to my parents house, I successfully ate one pancake, anyway I open the door and find my parents talking in the kitchen. Of course dad is already started on breakfast. "Hey guys."

"Hey munchkin," dad smiles kissing the top of my head. "There is an envelope on the counter for you to take. Give it to Marcus."

"Alright," I say handing Lincoln to mom. "But I really need to go. I'll see you guys tonight."

"Alright, bye Claire," mom smiles and hands me the envelope. "We love you."

"I love you guys too."

I run to the tracks and of course I'm the last one. Yet I still don't care, what I do care about thought is what's in the envelope. As I was about to peek inside my Uncle Uriah decides to shoulder bump me.

"Seriously," I say and look over at my uncle.

"Hey mini me," he smiles. "What's that?"

"Dad told me to give it to Marcus," I explain, "I was about to open it before you bumped into me."

"Does he want you to open it?" Uncle Uriah asks.

I just shrug, "he never said that I couldn't."

"That's all I needed to hear," Uncle Uriah smiles and motions for me to open it. Inside there is a photo. It's from last Christmas. Dad and mom are in the center sitting on the couch. Henry and Colin are sitting on either side of them. I'm sitting right in between mom and dad. Dylan is sitting on moms lap, Jackson is sitting on my lap, then Keiynan is sitting on dad's lap. This is one of my favorite photos. "Why is he giving Marcus a photo?"

I turn it over and see my dad has written something on it. "There's more," I say. If you want to say something to me, we'll figure out a time and place. Don't ever talk to my daughter again. "Of course dad had to leave a message."

"Train is coming!" Someone calls. I quickly put the picture back in the envelope and place that in my jean pocket. Then I get up to the running platform and run with everyone else. Once the first cart passes me I jump onto the next one. Uncle Uriah jumped in the cart right behind me. No once else is in my cart, probably because it's only the second one. I'm not the biggest fan my co-workers, who really is actually. I lean against the back wall of the cart and watch as everything goes by me in a blur.