Chapter 44

Waking up this morning was the best thing ever. Carter was next to me with his arm around my shoulders. My arm was draped over his torso and my head was resting on his chest. I notice that Carter is awake because his left hand is lightly rubbing my arm. He must notice that I'm awake too because he leans down and kisses my head. I smile and look up at him.

"Happy birthday Carter!" I exclaim.

"Thanks Cupcake," he chuckles and kisses my head again, "now you wanted to go training this morning."

I nod and he sits up, making me sit up as well. "Time to get ready then," I sigh and scoot off his bed.

I head to the guest room, where all my stuff is, and grab black spandex, a purple and black designed sports bra, and a red tank top. I head to the bathroom and quickly change. I brush my teeth and hair before I go to the kitchen. I just quickly braid my hair not really caring what it looks like. Carter has already changed into a black muscle shirt and black basketball shorts. He's making breakfast which I think he shouldn't be. It's his birthday and he makes breakfast almost every day.

"I could've made breakfast," I tell him as I go to the stove. He shakes his head and cracks an egg on to the pan.

"I like making breakfast for you," he says and tosses the egg shell in to the trash, "plus I don't want you to treat me like a baby."

"It's your birthday," I tell him, "which means you can actually have people do things for you."

He doesn't reply but just leans down to kiss my head. I smile and decide to grab two plates. I place them next to the stove so Carter can put he eggs on them when he's done. Carter can really only make scrambled eggs, so they don't take to long. I head back upstairs realizing I left my phone on Carter's nightstand. I grab it and see K has texted me like a minute ago.

Kimberly

What present do you want to give him first?

       Picture of me and him.

She quickly replies that she is bringing it over to Carter's. I head back downstairs and smell all the food Carter has cooked. His specialty is breakfast food, if we stay at his for lunch or dinner I'm making it. I wait patiently for the food to be done and for K to get here with his present.

Carter is still facing the stove, cooking hash browns now that the eggs are done. I walk up to him and wrap my arms around him. He glances back at me with a smile. I really my head in between his shoulder blades and smile. Although this is weird, his scent is almost captivating. He always smells like the forest. Carter and I sneak in to the forest right next to Dauntless. It basically speedsters us from the Amity compound. We usually go to the forest a few times a month, we just went a few days ago. It's always nice to be above ground.

"We don't have a lot of milk," Carter speaks up.

"Then juice it is this morning," I say and unwrap my arms from around him. I go to the fridge and grab the apple juice. Since I come over here almost everyday, Carter makes sure there is juice in the fridge. Juice is my drink addiction, like cake is my food addiction. It makes perfect sense if you live in Dauntless.

"Pour me a glass," Carter says putting hash browns on both of our plates.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::