Chapter 45

"Fancy," Carter says after I ask him how I should dress for our lunch date.

He said he couldn't tell me where which annoyed me a little. I hate not knowing, and surprises. I just need to know. I can cancel out where we went yesterday which means it's either the other fancy place our Carter made a place. Knowing him it's probably the latter. He always likes to take me outside the compound for a date, he's the only person who doesn't get in trouble for it. Mostly because he is becoming a leader, so Max and grandpa trust him.

I finally find the right dress after five minutes. Since I don't actually live here I only brought some of my dresses over. So I didn't have a vast selection. It's just a simple maroon dress with spaghetti straps. It's a v-neck and has a slit halfway up on the right side. It flows down to my ankles but doesn't reach the floor. I wear the one pair of heels that I have here, just simple black pumps, hoping that I don't have to run on a train. I already did my hair, which is just loose curls. My makeup is light pink eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and a light pink lipstick. Just nice and simple.

"You ready Cupcake!" Carter shouts from downstairs

"One second!" I call back and quickly grab a small black purse. I throw in my phone, wallet, I always have gum in it, and chapstick. You never know when you need it. After I make sure I have everything I head downstairs, where Carter is waiting for me.

I gave him the picture right before we got ready and he loved it. He placed it on his desk and it made me smile. Though I know he'll love the next gift even more.

"You look beautiful," he smiles as he takes my hand on the last step.

"Thanks," I blush, "you look quite handsome." He's wearing black dress pants, a black button up, a dark grey vest, and a black blazer.

"When do I not?" He jokes and I laugh.

"Shut up," I say playfully and smack his chest.

"What happened to the no red thing?" He asks and I roll my eyes.

"It's maroon, it's not red," I say and he smiles.

"Whatever you say," he says and we start to walk out the door. He makes sure the lights are off before we start down the hallway.

"Can you tell me where we are going now?" I ask and he chuckles.

"Patience," he says and I glare at him.

"I do have patience, I'd just like to know," I retort.

"We'll be there in a couple minutes," he tells me and kisses the top of my head.

We don't talk the next couple of minutes, but it's not that awkward silence, it's just peaceful. Gosh I sound Amity. I shake my head lightly and just continue to walk.

"Why are we at my place?" I ask and he just unlocks the door with a key I didn't know he had.

He opens the door and lets me walk in first. It smells like flowers and the lights are dim. Carter places his hand on the small of my back and leads me to the dining room, even though I already know where it is. Except it doesn't look like the dining room I'm used to. There is a bouquet of white roses in a beautiful glass vase, in the center of the tables. A large bottle of wine sits directly next to the flowers. The table has a white tablecloth on it with very faint designs. Each side of the table has a white plate, a set of silver ware wrapped nicely in a napkin with a black bow, a large wine glass, and a small plate on top of the white one.