Chapter 35

"That's like the dream date Claire!" K gushes as she jumps up and down.

"It was amazing," I blush and then I look down.

"So he set up like a dream land date, he got you your favorite foods, and you guys kissed!" She exclaims. "Blake never did that." I take in a deep breath and she looks sorry. "Oh I'm sorry! It kind of just slipped out!"

"It's fine really. Blake and I haven't been together for over a year," I say and she nods.

"Do you think that Carter is like the one?" she asks me and my eyes widen.

"I mean I'm not sure really," I whisper. "He is like my dream guy. Is Robbie the one for you?"

"If he isn't then this faction thing is even making our love life decisions for us," she jokes and we both laugh. "I think he is though, I mean we've been together this long and every time I think of him my stomach get filled with butterflies."

"I'm happy for you K," I say and give her a hug.

"Well I think Carter is the one for you," she says as we pull away and I smile.

"Why is that?"

"That right there," she points to my face. "Every time you mention his name or if I did you instantly brighten up and smile."

"How could you not," I smile. "He is just so sweet and nice, and he is so good with kids."

"Kids already? Dang girl you like to move fast," K jokes and we both laugh.

"Tomorrow I'm going with him and his niece to the new arcade. I was going to take Jackson with us," I tell her and she squeals. I look at her with my hands covering my ears. She blushes a little when she sees me before she removes my hands from my ears.

"You've already met some of the family C! That's like a big step in a relationship," K smiles. "I didn't even meet Robbie's parents until we were already dating for a year."

"We aren't in a relationship," I tell her and she rolls her eyes while mumbling a sure. "We aren't. We are just going out on dates to get to know each other."

"Sure, sure," she says before she stands up. "Now Robbie is coming home tonight now, and I have some news to tell him."

"He'll be so excited K, I just know it," I tell her as she walks to her room.

"We can only hope," she calls back.

I look down at my phone and notice that Carter has texted me.

Carter

Hey Claire, I was wondering if you could come by my place real quick. I have a little problem.

Me

Yeah of course. What's wrong?

Carter

Nothing much, I just need a little help right now.

Me

Hold on I'm going to change really fast.

I stand up off the couch and tell K that I'm leaving. She asks if I can stay at my parents tonight, because she wants to have dinner here with Robbie. I don't mind at all, I mean this is a very big thing happening in their lives. I go to my room and put on a pair of black joggers and a purple t-shirt. I put on some socks then my tennis shoes before I leave. I packed a bag of clothes for tomorrow because I'm not staying at home tonight.

I start walking towards Carter's apartment and pull my phone out to check the time. It is only 9:30 but it feels like it is 11. I put my phone back in my pocket and continue walking. Not a lot of people are in the halls, only because they are all at parties or something stupid. This is Dauntless what else do you expect? Everyone soundly asleep in their beds, yeah right!

Once I'm at Carter's apartment I knock on the door. He yells for me to come in so I do and I find him pacing back and forth. I run up to him and grab his arm so that he stops. "Are you alright?"

He shakes his head before he goes over to the couch and sits down. "My brother, he has never had good health, is in the hospital."

"Carter why aren't you there?" I ask him.

"Jaden told me that visiting hours were already over and that I wouldn't be able to see him," he says. "I just needed someone here with me."

"You said this wasn't much," I say and he shrugs.

"I just didn't want to tell you everything over text, I mean then you would've dropped everything you were doing and-"

I cut him off, "I would've because your father brother means a lot to you, and you mean a lot to me."

"Can we watch a movie or something? To kind of get my mind off things."

I nod and stand up. I pull him up off the couch and take him to his kitchen. I dig through his cabinets and pull out all the ingredients that I need. Luckily it doesn't need much. I place everything on the counter and Carter raises an eyebrow at me. I smile and grab a bowl from the cabinet.

"What exactly are we doing?" He asks while walking towards me.

"Making sugar cookies," I tell him with a smile. "Now you get your own bowl and we'll start to make them."

After a good ten minutes I finally go him to get his cookie dough right. I go over to the island and grab the bag of flour. I pour a little onto the island and spread it out. "What are you doing?"

"This is so the cookies don't stick to the island," I tell him and go back to grab the dough. "Now we can make cookies with the dough."

"Why can't we just put them on the tray?" he asks me.

"Because there is no fun in that, now is there? This way you can make the cookie look the way you want it to."

He finally starts to make cookies and once we have enough for one pan I put them on it. I place it in the oven and start the timer. Now it's time to make the frosting!