Chapter 47

1 month later

Middle of august is always the worst time of the year. The compound goes from hot to absolutely freezing. Luckily for me K had to go get more maternity clothes, so I got a few new sweaters. K was mad that I got the sweaters because she can't wear them. This path month has been her most emotional month yet. She's had Robbie stay over more, but he still hasn't moved in. I think they'll move into this place just because it's bigger than Robbie's. I've actually started to look at places for myself. No one really knows that I have though.

Carter's training has become more time consuming. He's really only free on the weekends. During the week he's always super tired. I always bug my grandpa about it but he just laughs at me. Carter did say that his training will be over at the end of the month. He's still getting used to the fact that he'll actually help manage the Dauntless faction. Especially since he's only 19. I'm proud of him, super proud actually. I know I couldn't do what he has the past 6 months.

"Ralph no!" I yell as he jumps on the coffee table, knocking over the full glass of milk. I groan and quickly pick up everything on the table, while Ralph just drinks the milk that has spilt. "Damn cat."

He glances up at me and just meows at me. I get off the couch and grab the paper towels from the kitchen. I quickly wipe it up, glad that it didn't get on to the floor. Ralph was mad that I cleaned it up but I'm mad at him for spilling it. Literally his water bowl is full, it's not like he didn't have anything to drink.

"Claire Gene Eaton!"

I flinch at the yelling voice and the slamming door. I stand up and head to the front. Of course it's my idiot of a father. I set the paper towels down before I actually acknowledge my father.

"Hey dad," I say sitting on the bar stool.

"Claire why?" He asks and I give him a confused look. Then it hits me and I stand up.

"What dad?" I ask like I don't know.

"The Rose boy shows up at my doorstep saying that you and him are friends again," dad almost growls.

"We have been friends for the past couple months dad," I say and head back out to the living room.

"You stayed at his house last night Claire," dad yells, following after me, "you have a boyfriend."

"I know dad," I roll my eyes, picking up the glass that Ralph knocked over, "I was hanging out with Ben and Blake when I fell asleep. We didn't do anything."

"This is the guy who shattered you heart Claire," he says coming next to me, "he lied to you, kept a secret from you, and made you so fucking sad."

You know my dad is angry when he cusses, especially to his kids. I gulp a little before I look up at him. "Yes but I forgave him because people deserve a second chance."

"He fucking doesn't," dad growls and I take a step back, "I don't want you around him anymore."

"Seriously dad, you can't boss me around," I tell him.

"You are my daughter I have every right to," he replies.

"I'm 17 dad, I don't even live with you," I say.

"That doesn't mean I can't protect you," he retorts, "I'm your father and you are my daughter Claire. I'm doing what's best for you."

I hear the door open but at this point I don't even care who it is. "No you aren't! My real father is Caleb!"

Instantly I see my dad break down. His fist aren't clenched, his eyes have a softer look, and his shoulders hang low. Oh what did I just do?

"No I may not be your birth father," he whispers, "but I raised you as my own."

With that he turns and walks out. I open my mouth to stop him but nothing comes out. The glass that was in my hand falls to the floor and breaks, scattering across the floor. I cover my mouth wit my hand and feel tears falling down my cheeks. I fall on the couch and just cry. The couch dips next to me and someone wraps their arms around me, pulling me on to their lap.

"Shh, it's alright," they whisper and I cry even harder.

I know it's Carter, but I know he's lying. He just wants me to feel better. I grip tightly on to his shirt and bury my face in to his neck. He doesn't say anything, just makes quiet shushing sounds and whispers sweet nothings in to my ear. I literally just lost my dad. He's never going to want to talk to me again.

I must've fallen asleep because I wake up on Carter. He's laying on the couch with his arms around my waist. I sit up a little and wipe my tear stained face. His shirt is super wrinkly where I held on to it, and the collar of his shirt is damp. I lean down and kiss Carter's cheek before I unwrap his arms from my waist. The glass that I dropped before was cleaned up and that just made all the memories come back. I felt tears sting the backs of my eyes. Squeezing my eyes tight, I let out a shaky breath. I don't want to cry anymore.

A little meow is hear at my feet and I see Ralph sitting there. I bend over to pick him up and he snuggles in to my arms. I kiss the top of his head before I go to the kitchen. The clock says it's already 7:30 and I feel regret. Regret because of those damn words I said to my dad and because Carter wanted to take me out to dinner tonight. He said he made reservations at 6. I decide to just make something, hoping that he won't be mad. The only thing I can make right now is tortellini. I grab a pot and fill it with water before I start to boil it.

After a little the sauce is done along with the noodles. I decide to use the lettuce and little amount of vegetables in my fridge to make a salad. We only have ranch dressing so I take it out. I take the food to the table, along with plates, silverware, and a couple of glasses.

"You didn't have to do this."

I look behind me and see Carter in the doorway. "Yes I did. I made us miss our reservation."

"We can always make another one," he chuckles before he wraps his arms around my shoulders. "We could've eaten cereal tonight for all I care."

"I'm still sorry," I mumble in to his chest and wrap my arms around his torso.

"You don't have to be," he says and lifts my chin up to look at him, "how about we just forget and eat dinner."

I nod and we both sit at the table. I wonder where K is, but I don't think Carter will know. Dinner is quiet, I'm to upset to talk and Carter never is one to prude. I want to go to my dad and say I'm sorry but I'm afraid he'll still hate me. I'm to scared to do it. I'm a coward. How am I in Dauntless? I can't even face my own dad!

"Everything will work out Claire," Carter says as he finishes his dinner. "I promise."