Chapter 27

After the meeting I pick up the folder that holds all the papers that I need to take back to Dauntless. I stand up out of my chair and push it back in. I start to head out of the room and I walk down the hallway. I hear footsteps loudly behind me but I don't want to look back. I just try to pick up speed with out being to obvious, but they still caught up to me. 

"I'm Marcus Eaton," the man says and I try not to glare at him. "You are Claire right?"

"Yes I am. Now I need to go, I have a train to catch," I say to him without sounding rude. Way to go Claire!

"I heard you talking to Mrs. Prior before the meeting, and I heard my sons name. I believe you said he adopted you," Marcus says and his face lights up at the mention of dad.

"I did," I say and start to walk again.

"Wait Claire!" he says and steps in front of me again. "Please tell him I'm sorry. I never thought I would get the chance to apologize."

"I'm not a messenger," I growl and stomp away.

"Please just tell me a little about him, that's all I ask," Marcus begs and I just glare at him.

"He married Tris Pedrad, and he has five sons," I say and walk away from him. I really didn't want to talk to him at all today or ever. 

###################################

We arrive back at Dauntless and I head home. I go to unlock my door, but I stop when I hear a noise inside.

Yep so don't want to know.

I just turn away from the door and head to the mall to go o the café. I order a hot chocolate and two chocolate chip cookies. I wait neat the end of the of the counter and wait for my order. It only takes a couple minutes before they give my my hot chocolate and my bag of two cookies. I turn to go find a seat and I see Carter with a little girl. I smile and go over to him.

"Claire! Hey!" he says and scoots over in the booth. I smile at him and sit down.

"Hey Carter," I say and look over to the little girl who looks very shy. "Hi, I'm Claire." I say to her and she raises her hand a little to wave.

"Claire this is my niece Skye, Skye this is my... friend Claire," Carter smiles and I shake my head and laugh. 

"It's nice to meet you Skye. You are so pretty," I say and I hear a faint thank you.

I see Carter smile towards his niece. "She is awfully shy. I blame her father."

"How old are you?" I ask her.

"Seven," she says louder than before.

"I have a little brother your age, his name is Jackson. He's almost eight," I say and her face lights up.

"My birthday is in a week, that's why Uncle Carter took me to lunch," she smiles and I instantly feel bad.

"I'm sorry I interrupted," I turn to Carter and he shakes his head. 

"Don't be, I'm glad you are here," he smiles towards me.

"I think it'll be fun to take Uncle Carter to a girl store," Skye laughs and I smile at her.

"Let's go to one of my favorite stores when I was your age," I say to her and she turns to Carter and begs him to go. He keeps glaring at me and I roll my eyes.

"Please Carter!" I beg and he rolls his eyes at me. I kiss his cheek and Skye laughs.

"I guess," Carter groans and I smirk. "But you need to finish your lunch."