Chapter 48

"Claire come on," Carter complains as I lay face down on my bed. I shake my head and feel Carter grab my right ankle. He starts to pull me off the bed and I kick his arm with my left leg. "Claire you're acting like a 3 year old." I don't reply even though that kind of ticked me off. I'm not acting three. I just don't want to get up yet. "I'll just carry you." With that said e grabs on to my waist and hoists me over his shoulder. Seriously!?

"Put me down Carter," I say hitting his back.

"You need to eat lunch," he says and I hear him open the door, "you've already missed breakfast."

"I'm not hungry," I complain and I start to kick my legs. He holds my legs down with his other arm and I groan, "seriously Carter, I'm not. Plus I'm still in my pajamas."

"No ones going to know," he says, "you're wearing sweatpants and a T-shirt."

"Yeah that is way to big," I tell him but he just keeps walking.

I hear loud voices and know we are at the cafeteria. I can already tell he is getting food first so I don't run. Smart boy. Why couldn't we just eat at my place. I'm not ready to see my dad yet. I glance over at my families table, sure enough they're all eating. Dad has his head down and is just messing with the apple in his hands. Uncle Zeke and Uriah are oblivious to his behavior and are arguing with each other. All the kids are just talking and eating. Mom is trying to shut my uncles up and she's rubbing Dad's arm.

Carter turns around and is walking towards my family table. I hit his back in protest but he doesn't care. He bends down a little to set the tray down, I'm guessing. Then he swings me off his shoulder and forces me to sit next to mom. I tense up realizing that dad is only one seat away, and I kick Carter under the table. I don't say much which makes the twins glance at me every so often. I quietly eat my pizza Carter got me and I keep my head down.

"I have to get back to work," dad mumbles and stands up. I've literally been here for two minutes and he's already leaving.

"We don't have to be back to work for another 15 minutes," Zeke says and dad shrugs before walking away.

I wipe my eyes and feel Carter rubbing my back. I feel people looking at me so I glance up. Its just my mom and the twins. Scooting closer to Carter, I rest my head on his shoulder.

"You alright mini me?" Uncle Uriah asks. I give him a fake smile and nod.

"He's alright sweetheart," mom whispers. "He'll just need sometime."

"He won't forgive me," I say and look at my mom, "he doesn't forgive easily mom."

"Claire-"

"Mom I told him he wasn't my dad!" I shout, "how can you forgive someone for that!"

I stand up and sprint out of the cafeteria. I'm not really sure where I'm going but I do hear Carter calling after me. I just keep running down the hallways until I stop at the chasm. I feel tears fall down my cheeks and I hiccup. I lean against the wall and slide down. The stone is cold against my back but right now I don't care. The tears don't stop and just fall off my cheeks and to to cold floor. After a minute or two I feel someone sit next to me.

"It feels like I've lost him Carter," I whisper and close my eyes.

"I know what it's like to lose a dad," he whispers and I look over at him. "I didn't get the chance to get him back, so don't lose yours. Please."

"Carter how can I even face him," I whisper and Carter shrugs.

"I'm not sure," he replies, "maybe your mom was right, that you need to give it time. Or you just need to face him now."

"How do I decide that?"

He looks over at me with small smile, "your heart will decide."

I sigh and look back out towards the chasm. "You know how you've asked me how my parents found me?"

"Yeah, that night you just didn't want to tell me," he replies.

"It was here. Right where we are sitting," I say. "Mom says that I told her I followed Elizabeth and Caleb. Apparently there were pushed down the chasm and I just cried right here hugging my bear. Mom said her and dad were training when they heard me cry. They found me and I told them my name and how old I was. They told me that Caleb and Elizabeth wanted dad and mom to watch me for a little. So I asked them if they were my new mom and dad. They took me to their house and gave me a room, bought me clothes, fed me. My uncles weren't exactly excited but mom and dad still kept me."

"That's probably why you came here then," he says and I look at him. "Hoping Four and Six would find you again. To take you back home."

I nod and lean my head against Carter's shoulder. "Why did I even hang out with Blake?"

"You're friends," Carter says simply, "you've known him forever."

"My dad was right though," I say, "how did I manage to forgive him after all he's done?"

"Because that is the person you are," Carter tells me. "Just like your dad. He'll forgive you for saying those things. He knows you were just frustrated."

"Then why did he leave?" I choke out.

"Because he still heard those words. It'll take a little for him to forget it, but he can't forget right away," he says.

"It took me months to forgive Blake," I say.

"You'll just have to wait and see with your dad," Carter tells me. "In the meantime you have me and your family, friends too, if you ever need someone."

"I'm just lucky to have you," I say and peck his lips.

"I believe it's the other way around," Carter smiles and stand me up. "How about we go and relax."

"Lets head to your place," I say quickly and he nods.

"Tucker will be excited to see you," Carter smiles as he takes my hand in his. "It's been a couple days since you've last been over."

"I know. It's because my grandpa has been training you to dreary," I joke and Carter laughs.

"Believe me I know," he says, "I'm the one who has to live it."