Tess Larson- Hugs (c)

If a paper volcano exploded you imagined that the aftermath would leave a similar appearance to what your lounge looked like when you arrived home. Every surface of your living room weren't visible due to the piles of paperwork that was strewn in an untidy fashion across everything. Truthfully if you didn't know your girlfriend, you'd have assumed that someone had broken into your home and had made their way through all of your paperwork, but due to the fact that Tess was perched on the sofa, surrounded and covered in paper, you were happy to believe that it was her doing.

Since working in the conviction integrity unit, Tess had been struggling to stay on top of the work she had, and seemed far more stressed than before. You knew that her work as a paralegal was important but she was working herself to death. She'd always valued her work, but being part of the new unit did give her some trouble as she felt as though she needed to prove herself to her new boss.

"Tess," you whispered, dropping your bag to the floor, trying to carefully manoeuvre the room without standing on or knocking over any of the pieces of paper.

"Hi," she smiled weakly at you, looking up from what she was writing.

"Are you okay?" You questioned wanting to know the answer but you didn't want to seem too pushy.

She ran a hair through her blond hair, which usually lay perfectly brushed, but was currently a mess probably from her repeating that action.

"We have 46 hours and counting. We know this guy is innocent but we just don't know how to prove it. No matter what we believe, if we have no proof it means nothing," she sighed holding her head in her hands. "I don't know what to do."

You gave her a sympathetic smile. You had no idea how to actually help with her work, it wasn't your area of expertise; however you were going to do anything in your power to help her.

"Do you want a hug?" You offered, knowing that the only way you could really help, was to help her put her mind at ease for a bit so that she didn't have clouded thoughts when she went back to working on this case.

She nodded her head, still covering her face with her hands. You couldn't help but smile at her as you moved a pile of the paper from the sofa so that you could put them onto the coffee table, giving you room to sit by Tess' side.

Your arms wound around her, pulling her to you so that you could press a kiss to her forehead.

"I love you Tess. And I know you are trying to do what is right, and bloody hell that is one of the reasons I love you, but you need to relax, you will just make yourself sick," you whispered.

"I'm sorry," she said, words muffled by the fact that her face was pressed to your shoulder.

"You have no need to be sorry. Just take it easy, okay?" You offered gently.

She nodded her head against your shoulder. "I love you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.