Jay Faldren- Comfort (c)

Casualty One Shot

Losing patients was something you had to come to terms with when working in an Accident and Emergency Department, but it never became easier. You took great pleasure in building a rapport with your patients but that only made it harder if things went south. You had to try and separate yourself from your work but whilst you were in the walls of the hospital, every ounce of pain that losing a patient caused was on top of your like a tonne of bricks, surrounding you as you tried to wade through with your next patients.

Keeping a brave face and hoping that your next patient would have a happier story. Optimism didn't come easy, especially not after the time of death had been called on a patient you had been working closely with for the majority of the day. Although every colleague had been there, you didn't want anyone to see you break. You excused yourself from the patient's room and rushed off to a supply closet that you hoped no one would access for a couple of minutes.

You clutched onto the shelving unit, to steady yourself as your tears silently fell down your cheeks. You had barely had a moment to lose yourself to the grief and pain before the door opened.

"Y/N," You heard the familiar voice.

Turning around, you saw Jay, a sympathetic smile upon his face as he looked down upon you.

"I saw you come in here," Jay added.

You knew that he'd follow you to whatever hiding place you picked if he knew something would have upset you, and maybe it would have been easier to have just gone to him straight away, but you couldn't help but feel like a burden by seeking him out at work to comfort you. Jay opened his arms and you instantly fell into them, welcoming his warm embrace.

"It's okay to be upset," he stated, something that he had said to you several times.

"Why does it hurt so much?" You cried against his chest.

Jay let out a soft sigh, leaning in to press his lips to the top off your head. Rarely did he ever show you affection at work, mainly down to your insistence for professionalism but you were willing to let things slide this once.

"Because you're a good person," he explained. "You did everything you could."

You fell back into silence as he held you until the tears seized.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.