Caleb Knight- Pain: Part 2 (c)

Casualty One Shot

You pushed back the curtain to the bay revealed the young woman with a bloodied gauze on her thigh.

"This is Lucy Howard, 23, laceration to her upper thigh after a tumble down some stairs. The wound has been cleaned and sterilised but will require stitches. Miss Howard is anxious about the stitches, and displeased with her physician," Caleb explained.

"I'm not displeased," the woman uttered under her breath.

"Don't worry Lucy, his presence is displeasing," you chuckled. "I'm Dr Knight, I am one of the gynaecology registrars here, so this isn't my normal field of speciality, and I am technically on maternity leave, but I can be here to help you get through this and tell your doctor all the things you want to shout at him but are too scared to."

"You're both Dr Knight?" She asked.

You nodded your head. "He is my husband, but we are here professionally, and I will keep him in line for you."

Your husband rolled his eyes as he begun to prepare the tray of sutures, preparing to get to work.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

She looked up at you, clasping onto your hand before nodding.

"How did you manage to do this?" You questioned.

"I fell down the steps outside of my building, the stone is broken, and I caught myself on it," she explained, her eye closed and face scrunched up.

You winced at the sound of it. "That sounds nasty. But give it a few months and you'll barely even be able to tell you've cut yourself. He may not know how to talk to a patient, but he is pretty good at sutures."

Silence fell over the three of you until it was broken by a breathy groan escaping you.

"Are you okay?" Caleb and Lucy asked at the same time.

You let out a hum to try and confirm you were okay, but the pain was persisting, and you were struggling to hide the extent of it.

"What's going on?" He demanded, putting down the needle and scissors onto the tray.

"Nothing," you tried to explain.

"Are you having contractions?" Caleb asked.

The small glance you gave him was confirmation enough.

"How long have you been having contractions?"

"Since this morning," you admitted. "I'm sorry, Cal, I thought they were just Braxton hicks but I'm pretty sure they aren't anymore."

You heard him swear under his breath.

"I'm sorry Miss Howard but I believe my wife needs to get her own treatment, as if I am not mistaken, she is in active labour."

The patient ensured you both it was fine as Cal called out to one of the nurses to come and join her whilst he escorted you from the bay.

"Do you want me to go and get your hospital bag?" He asked, holding your arm to help you waddle along.

"It's in my car," you said, handing him your keys. "But if the contractions are anything to go by, by the time we get to the delivery suite, she's going to be well on her way, so you can get it after as I cannot do this alone."

Cal leaned in to press his lips to your forehead. He assured you that he wasn't going anywhere but passed off your keys to one of your colleagues to be passed onto his brother before he continued to escort you to the ward to have your baby.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.