Chapter 126 ~ Let Us Protect You

Start from the beginning

"But we can fight! We can-"

"Naruto." Neji cut him off once more, this time with an almost somber tone.

Noticing the shift in the atmosphere, Naruto silenced.

"You've protected us time and time again." Neji almost begged, "please, just this once. Let us protect you."

Naruto didn't agree with it, but he understood. Perhaps child-him would have argued and kicked up a fuss. But Naruto had grown up enough to know when it was time to step down.

He could respect other people's bravery.

"Ok." He swallowed back his pride and managed a smile. "I'll trust you."

Neji grinned. "Great! But..ah, when you retell the story, can you keep out the part were I disobeyed orders and told you? That'd be spectacular."

Naruto sported a matching grin. "Got it!"

::

"Third company captain huh.." Kakashi mused aloud, casting a sideways glance at Gaara.

He stared at the captain of the fourth company and commander-in-chief, ideally wondering when he was going to make his big speech.

"Now then, Gaara-kun." Kakashi gestured at the shinobi alliance before them. "You're the commander-in-chief. Please address everyone when you're ready."

Kakashi kept his attention to the former jinchuuriki as he opened his mouth, ready to announce himself. But the silence was cut short when voices erupted throughout the crowd, people began arguing amongst one another.

It soon turned to violence and Kakashi could only sigh. It was already expected, what with the five villages being enemies just a day earlier.

Gaara stepped in, holding his hand out to summon sand, breaking apart the fights.

"In the name of gain and profit for one's nation and village..shinobi have hated and hurt each other from the first to the third great shinobi world wars. That hatred cried out for power, and thus, I was born."

The shinobi were silent, all eyes were on the redheaded Kazekage.

"In the past I was hatred, I was power, I...was a jinchuuriki." Gaara closed his eyes for a moment, opening them back to look down to the shinobi beneath him. "And I hated this world and the humans in it and I thought about destroying them. This is exactly what the Akatsuki is trying to do now."

Kakashi begun to zone out, finding himself wondering what it had been like growing up with the life that Naruto and Gaara and many others had to suffer from. It was nothing like his own. Kakashi was admired from birth. Since the moment he was fresh into the world people had already begun placing him on a pedestal.

He wondered if this was like Rieka's life. Though she was soon acknowledge by the people around her. Naruto was the same, but it took much longer for himself.

Then there was Gaara, who never experienced the feeling of being wanted, loved, or anything other than hate until he met Naruto. Kakashi wondered if all that pain and grief had shaped Gaara into the great leader he was today. Or if that was all the work of Naruto's guidance.

"When we share and experience the same pain, there can be no bad blood!" Gaara placed a hand to his chest.

"No one is an enemy here!"

"Because we all bear the pain of having been hurt by the Akatsuki!" He exclaimed.

Kakashi silently reached the pocket of his flak jacket and removed silver chain. He held it within his gloved hand, turning it over to reveal the glint of the Akiyama clan crest as it's pendant.

"Suna...iwa...konoha...kiri...and kumo are no more!" Gaara thrust his arms forward. "Now, there is only...shinobi!"

Kakashi ran his fingers over the pendant, looking back up to the shocked-looking faces of the alliance.

"If you still cannot forgive suna, after this war is over, you can have my head!" Gaara vowed.

'The look on everyone's faces has changed..' Kakashi noted.

"The enemy is now after my friend who saved me! If he falls into the enemies hands, the world is over!" Gaara exclaimed. "I want to protect my friend! And I want to protect this world!"

"But I am much too young, and too inexperienced to protect this world!" He bowed his head gravely. "So I beg you all, lend me your strength!!"

Kakashi watched as the crowd erupted into to cheers, instantly agreeing to fight alongside the Kazekage. He looked back down to the necklace one final time, smiling, before pocketing it once more.

"The war has begun.."

::

"Let's start with the greetings, shall we, Tobi? No...you call yourself Madara now, don't you?"

::

::

24 chapters remaining