Chapter Twenty: My Quest

Frank: Um, who's the writer of Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Heroes of Olympus?

Hazel: Why, it's Rick Riordan. Who'd you think it was?

Frank: *blushes* Oh. I thought it was artchick97.

Hazel: *smiles, hugs him* You're so cute. And you make a very handsome elephant.

Frank: *blushes harder* Thanks.

Frazel is so cute! One of my favorite couples!

__________________________________________________________________________

I left camp pretty much after Piper, Leo, and Jason left. I didn't have much to do before my own quest, so I headed out.

I only stopped at the Big House, to try to talk to Chiron. I knocked on the door and called to him, but he wasn't there. I had looked at the archery range, but he wasn't there. I knew he was avoiding me, but I could wait until after my quest.

I passed Thalia's tree without a glance. I was a bit sore from what Jason told me about being the brother of Thalia. I guess i was mad a Thalia, but I still needed to sort it out.

I called a taxi and headed to Manhattan. I paid the driver when he dropped me off me off on Third Avenue, and I walked to the apartment. I buzzed in at the lobby, but there wasn't need to. They were expecting me.

When I opened the door to the apartment, a set of arms was waiting for me. Sally Jackson embraced me and held me tight. I hugged her back.

"Oh, Annabeth." She murmured into my hair.

I pulled away and looked at her. Sally was the same as ever, her blue-green eyes kind and an open lined face. But now, she had more gray streaks in her hair and more wrinkles.

"Ms. Jackson, I--"

"Please, Annabeth, call me Sally." She held my face in her hands, smiling kindly at me.

"Sally, I'm so sorry. He just...disappeared. Nothing."

Sally looked distraught. "Come on in, sweetheart. I'll make you some tea."

While Sally was brewing tea, I wandered through the apartment. Mr. Blofis was out at a writing seminar, so it was just Sally and I.

The place was clean but homely; the pale green walls were adorned with sea scapes, shells, and photos of Paul, Sally, and Percy. I found one picture, the one closest to the fire escape, that caught my eye.

It was a rather beat up frame, dark wood, plain, and it was one of the smaller photos. The photo itself was bent and wrinkled in a way that it was apparent that it was folded, and it was faded, like it had been in water. But I could still see the subject matter. It was me and Percy on the beach at Montauk.

I remembered the day. It was a week before school was back in session, and Percy had taken me to Montauk with Sally and Paul. Percy and i went on the little beach behind the cabin while Sally and Paul went on a walk. We were playing in waves a bit, Percy shooting a water spout at me to annoy the crap out of me. I think he enjoyed it. I ran out of the water and he chased me, we both collapsed onto the beach towel, laughing. Percy had put his arms around me and leaned in to kiss me when Sally snapped the picture.

The photo shows us sitting, facing each other, Percy's arms pulling me closer to him. Our noses were almost touching, both of us grinning like crazy. The sun was behind us, which caused our sillhouettes to be haloed in light. It was amazing.