Chapter Sixteen: The Message

Octavian: Now how can we be sure that artchick97 isn't the author of Percy Jackson and the Olympians or Heroes of Olympus?

Reyna: *clenches fist on dagger* Because Rick Riordan is the author. He wrote them. Artchick97 is just writing a fanfic.

Octavian: But how--

Percy: Are you still questioning that? I have been in all of the book. How many have you been in? One.

Reyna:*smug* Exactly.

Octavian:*spluttering and gasping* But--I--

Percy: Be quiet. Your Praetor orders it.

I hate Octavian. Reyna is so much cooler.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Me and Piper started walking back towards the cabins, and we passed the basketball courts where the Apollo cabin were taking three pointers. I saw Piper looking at them with an expression like, What?! They were making all of them.

"Apollo's cabin." I explained. Bunch of show-offs with missle weapons--arrows, basketballs."

We kept walking, past the fire pit in the center of the cabins. The Stoll brothers were taking a break from pranking and were sparring instead. Not in the arena, but in the cabin green. Interesting.

"Real blades?" Piper asked, a bit surprised. "Isn't that dangerous?"

"That's sort of the point." I then realized what i did. "Uh, sorry, bad pun." I nodded to Athena's cabin. "That's my cabin over there. Number Six." We had recently found a way to use technology without bringing in monsters. It involved a lot of bronze plating, strong magical boarders, and two rolls of extra-strength duct tape.

I rounded the cabin and faced the weapon shed. "Speaking of blades, come here."

I guess I was trying to make her feel better by finding her a weaponfor her. Not exactly the ideal gift for a teenage girl, but then again she's not an ideal teenage girl.

"Every demigod needs a weapon," I explained. "Hephaestus makes the best, but we have a pretty good selection too. Athena's all about strategy--matching the right weapon to the right person. Let's see..."

Piper didn't seem really into it, but she didn't protest. I decided to start with swords. I picked up the closest blade, a sword that only an Ares camper the size of a Cyclops could use. Even though I doubted Piper would fit this blade, I always start with one type of weapon and see what fits them.

She grasped the handle and wasn't able to lift. a sword didn't suit her. Too bulky.

"No," we agreed together.

I searched through a pile of guns, and picked up one.

"A shotgun?" Piper's eyebrows went up.

"Mossberg 500." I read off the barrell. I checked the pump action, not concerned if it fired. "Don't worry. It doesn't hurt humans. It's modified to shoot celestial bronze, so it only kills monsters."

Piper grimaced. "Um, I don't think it's my style."

"Mmmm, yeah," I decided. "Too flashy."

I rustled through the rack of crossbows, then Piper said, "What is that?" She was looking at an old sheath for a dagger--one of the oldest weapons in the shed. "A knife?"

I pulled it out of the pile and brought it over to her. I blew off the dust and recognized it. "I don't know, Piper. I don't think you want this one. Swords are usually better. " I didn't want to tell her about that knife in particular.