BONUS CHAPTER: Brothers

His legs ached. He was running out of breath. However, when he heard the growls from behind him, he was motivated to run. He surged through Gelun Forest with his little boot-clad feet digging into the snow with every step. He tripped on a tree's gnarled root and he flew forward, landing on the snow on his stomach. The growls came again. He jolted up and ran. The pain on his right foot caused him to limp, slowing his initial pace.

"Alen-uno!" he cried. Tears streamed down his face as he ran. He looked over his shoulder and saw the small and quick shadows moving between each one. Fear caused him to rattle and he cried out for his brother once more. He was lost. Everything looked the same everywhere he looked. He should've listened to his eouno.

A force rammed into him from the side, before the sound of tearing cloth followed. He fell to the snow on his back and he cried harder because of fear. He casted his tear-filled eyes to the right sleeve of his jacket and found a gaping hole exposing his grey wool shirt.

More growls drifted to his ears. He shot up, ready to run, but froze on his spot. His breath hitched and his eyes grew big in fear. Two creatures with fine white fur dotted by black spots circled him. Their tails wagged with every step they took and every growl which came out of their teeth-filled maws. Small white wings fluttered, but too small for the creatures' bodies. Yellow eyes stared at him with hunger in their depths.

He gulped before a sob escaped his lips. He curled into a ball, while his eyes remained wary of the snow cats. More tears spilled down his plump cheeks, and he whispered.

"Eouno, help me."

He sucked in a breath and looked to the beasts once more. When he did, the biggest stepped toward him. The creature was quite small, even smaller than his height while sitting down. However, it was a dangerous little predator.

He heard footsteps but it didn't register in his mind. However, the beast took interest in the sound and turned its head toward it. For a moment, his sobs ceased. He watched as the creature's pupils dilated. Its ears flattened against its head and its tail dropped between its legs.

Curious of the snow cat's reaction, he twisted his neck to the direction it was looking at. His eyes widened before another sob escaped his lips.

"Al..." he trailed off. He stiffened when he saw the look on his brother's face. His Alen-uno's face was dark, and the shadow the sun casted over it made it darker. Pale blue eyes stared at the snow cats, and they were stone cold. His brother only stood there like the statues he saw often in Icefall City and Gelun. For some odd reason, he felt his limbs shake from staring at his brother. It was the first time he'd seen Alen look like he did in that moment.

The whimpers coming from the snow cats caused him to tear his gaze away from Alen. When he turned, the only sight he saw was the two beasts running with their tails tucked between their legs. They ran so fast, faster than the speed they used to chase him.

"Alec!" his brother called as he ran. Alen dropped to his knees and engulfed him with his arms. Almost immediately, Alec wailed against his chest after throwing his short arms around him. He sniffed and sobbed while his brother stroked his fingers through his long hair to comfort him.

"Hush now, little brother," Alen whispered. "You're safe now. Eouno won't let anyone or anything hurt you. I'm here."

He pressed his face against his brother's chest while Alen kissed the top of his head. "I thought I was going to lose you. I'm going to go insane if that happens!" Alen rambled and kissed his head again.

When Alec's sobs dwindled, he felt his body leave the ground. Instinctively, his arms wrapped around his brother's neck and his legs snaked around his waist. Alen kissed his forehead again before rubbing circles on his back while they walked home.