Chapter 37-Saved

And we're back to the Academy *insert evil laugh*

----

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

"I'm back, people!" Solana yelled as she burst through the doors. She shoved it close with a bang after giving Dia enough time to pass through. When she whirled around, she found only one person seated in the lobby. As usual, Alec had a book in his hand with his Draelings curled close to him.

"Welcome back," he said. His eyes remained glued to the pages as he waved his hand. Solana's shoulders dropped as she tilted her head to her right. "Where's Knox?"

She only sighed when he finally looked up at her. With a shrug of her shoulders she walked over to the lounge, and dropped her small bag behind the seats. She swung her body over the back of the loveseat and landed on her side, quickly propping her head in one hand.

"He went to grandfather first," she said. "And weren't you supposed to be back until tomorrow? How was the festival?"

However, before Alec could utter a word, her eyes locked on to the bandage wrapped around his hand. She sat up and pointed one of her fingers to his injury. Her friend looked down to see what she was indicating. When he raised his head, he only shook it when their eyes met.

"I just got into a bit of trouble," he said. "As for the festival, I only attended Worship. And I also discovered that I have a liking for strawberries." Solana puffed out her cheeks as she narrowed her eyes. He was doing it again. He answered something vague, and then tried to redirect the subject.

"What did you do there?"

The sound of the book snapping shut filled the silence which followed after she spoke. Alec bent forward and placed the hardbound on the center table. His pale blue eyes avoided her gaze by casting it to the floor. It was worth a try, she thought. "I'm sorry, I know. I shouldn't have asked."

"No. It's all right," he said. "I'll only answer that if you promise to answer a question of mine." She raised a brow, but nevertheless nodded. "Is there some sort of problem? You're not your usual almost psychotic happy self? It's unnerving really. I thought there would never be a day that I'd see you sad."

Solana's grey eyes grew wide as she felt herself stiffen. She kept staring at him before throwing her gaze down at her lap.

"Good day Lady Solana, how is your brother doing?" "Pleasant to meet you Lady Solana, is your brother here?" "Oh you must be Lord Knox's sister." "Have you no achievements like your brother's?"

She dropped a lid on top of the jar containing all the repetitive words and sentences she had heard yesterday at her parents' party. Her hands balled and they trembled as she settled them on her lap. She bit her bottom lip before speaking.

"How do you know?" There was a silence after Alec mumbled "so there is a problem" under his breath. When she glanced at him, he was staring at Dia's curled form near her thigh.

"Dia would always run to me, whenever she sees me," he said. "This time though, she had sagging ears and wings. She had a sad look in her eyes, and it seems to me like she wants to be by your side as comfort." At those words, Dia had moved and placed her head on her lap, purring against her. Solana stroked her neck gently as she felt a smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "I've been heeding Professor Cynn's advice about honing my skill to quickly figure a Drae's emotions. Draelings, I noticed, always to reflect what their Draeyers are feeling, so that's why I can tell."

Solana sighed as she loosened the fist which remained closed. She leaned back on the couch and hugged her white Drae to her chest.

"Have you always been compared to Alen, when you were still together?" she asked. Alec knit his brows as if in thought, before he shook his head.