Chapter 30-Lowering Walls

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

With his silver fork, Knox took one large chunk from the slice of chocolate cake on the saucer in front of him. He brought it to his open mouth, disregarding the disgusted look which came from Solana as he savored its sweetness on his tongue.

"You have exceptional table manners, brother," Solana said. She took a bite of her apple, swallowed, before resuming. "But when it comes to sweets, you seem to forget all of it."

Knox only smiled at her through a mouthful of cake. He gulped it down his throat before taking a sip of water from his goblet. While he finished its contents, he shifted his gaze to Alec who was unusually quiet―even though he already was the silent type. He found him focusing on the journal the Gue had given him. His plate lay empty a few inches away from where his triplets curled into snoring balls.

"Are you coming close to opening it?" Knox said. Alec flinched and snapped from his concentration on the leather-bound diurnal. He turned his attention to him, before looking back at the book as he cradled his chin on his palm. He turned the book on its spine, and Knox saw the golden lock preventing them from seeing its contents.

"The lock has a triangular keyhole," Alec said, as he traced it with his finger. "I've been picking at it till midnight but I only ended up keeping Leyan and the other two awake."

"Are you sure the Gue didn't give you a key or anything?"

"It's not fair," Solana said. Their heads snapped to her and found her bottom lip jutting out while a crease formed between her brows. Knox couldn't help but smile at the sight.

"What's not fair?" Alec said, raising a brow at her.

"I found the orb first, but since that little fur ball gave it to you, it's now yours," she said. The journal suddenly shook in Alec's hand and the Gue's pruf, resembled a growl directed at her. Like Solana, the students close by had big round eyes, and trembling lips. But with one look from him and Alec, they faced their tables and resumed their lunch.

"Gues can merge with the objects they are protecting, Solana. It makes it easier for them," Alec said. "So, better be careful in making comments about this Gue whenever the journal is around. He can hear you."

"Why do you know so much about them? Until last night, I never knew they even existed." Solana said. In the process, her eyes kept darting to the book on the table, most probably afraid of any sudden movements from it.

"I only know the basics about them," Alec said. He placed a hand on the journal and traced the swirls and patterns covering the leather. "It's just my brother always had this large pool of knowledge in his mind. Sometimes when he tutored me, one topic strayed into a different one. I remember that he was talking about the noble families in Arktis, and the next thing he was mentioning the Gues while drawing images of them on the snow."

"You're brother tutored you?" Solana said. "He must be really intelligent then."

"Everything I know I learned from him," Alec said. Knox almost immediately felt the gloom coming off of Alec. Judging by the faraway and longing looks that filled his crystal blue eyes, he had pretty good idea where his brother was. That territory was too sensitive for them to thread―yet anyway. Solana, as usual, was oblivious though.

"I can't wait to meet him, tomorrow," she said. She was about to take another bite on her juicy red apple, but paused when she saw the look Alec was giving her. Knox saw how his eyes dropped halfway and the corners of his lips turned down. He shifted his gaze on the table and fiddled with his fingers.