Chapter 51-Father and Daughter

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

When Gael slipped out the doors, her father returned his attention to her. However, Areisha refused to meet his gaze and chose to play with her fingers. Even when he spoke with his soft tone, she only leaned on the grey wall behind her.

"How are you feeling, dylaga?" From the corner of her eyes, she saw him standing next to her. Soon, the left side of her bed sunk as he sat. "Don't ignore me, please?"

"What are you doing here?" she said. "Shouldn't you be with Lady Reyna? Not too long ago, she was furious when you left her to see me when I was sent to the hospital."

Sheriun released a heavy sigh as he twisted from his position. He took one of her hands in his―but not with some hesitance. Leaning forward, he kissed the top of her head. Areisha flinched from the gesture, which caused him to free her hand.

"You are my daughter," he said. "Whether Reyna likes it or not, you are my priority. Do you understand that?"

"Funny," she said. She looked up and narrowed her dark blue eyes at her father's similar-colored ones. "When mother died, when I needed you the most, I can't recall ever being your priority."

Sadness pooled in Sheriun's eyes as his shoulders sagged enough for Areisha to notice. He looked away and wiped his face with his palms. With a hand outstretched toward her, he stood. "Can you take stroll with me, to the gardens?"

She eyed his hand with a stone gaze before throwing the blanket off her. Ignoring his assistance, she slid off the bed on the other side, away from her father. When she finished fixing the straps on her sandals, she stood and went for the door. Stepping out in to the hallways, she heard Sheriun's steps behind her.

With his father's long legs―which she obviously failed to inherit―he caught up with her pace. They were soon headed for the Academy gardens.

"What happened to the men who attacked Star Dormitory?" Sheriun shattered the silence between them. Areisha didn't have to worry about Solana listening in on the conversation. Nurse Jemial had ordered them to completely seal off their abilities. If not, and since the girl couldn't remember the events, she would only pester her with questions.

"Head Ryder Kreis said they became unresponsive after the Eimion left. It's as if they lost their own minds," she said. "But of course Headmaster Donovan already told you that. You just asked that to open up a subject then steer it into a new one."

A light chuckle escaped Sheriun's lips―however it lacked even a speck of humor. She heard him sigh yet again as they passed through the entrance and threaded the cobblestone path cutting through the garden.

She relished the feel of the sunlight on her for the first time in the two days she was cooped in the infirmary. The sweet scents of flowers invaded her nose and she was unable to stop herself from relaxing at the smell. Her shoulders loosened and her pace slowed as she eyed the flowers in colors of red, blue, yellow, orange, violet and many more. Every now and then she would spot a butterfly, making her wish she brought Emera along to watch the little Draeling chase the insect around. It always gave her a bit of peace.

They came upon a stone bench between two topiaries of male and female Draelings. Sheriun led her to sit and they both did nothing but stare at the flowers surrounding them. Areisha looked down when memories of them both playing in the garden of their home flashed in her mind. She remembered they would roll on the grass and ruin the flowers in the process until her mother would tell them to stop with a smile on her face. She missed her childhood prior to her mother's death.

A hand on top of hers broke her out of her musings. She was forced to look at her father when he turned her hand so the palm faced the sky. A cool smooth object fell on her skin. The sensation caused her to cast her gaze to it, and her dark blue eyes widened slowly as tears gathered at the corner of her eyes. She wiped them away before they could create a path down her cheeks. She fisted her palm and brought the object closed to her heart while she closed her eyes.