Chapter 40-Flames

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

"Yes! Finally you can have lunch with us again!" Solana yelled to her. Areisha shook her head as she chuckled. She moved closer to chair and sat in front of the table. Emera scampered to the other side of the table where Dia was busy eating her raw meat.

"My extra subjects have been moved, so yes I can join you guys from now on," she said. At that moment, a server came and placed her plate of meat and vegetables. She looked up when Knox came back carrying a tray of sweets. She shook her head.

"Where's Alec?" he asked when he sat down. Areisha turned her attention back to her meal and resumed eating, at the same time keeping her ears open to their conversation.

"Head Ryder Kreis arrived earlier and dragged him somewhere. He should be back any moment," Solana said. She filled her mouth with her usual salad of fruits and veggies. All of a sudden though, she stopped. Her head turned to Areisha as she swallowed the food in her mouth. A bright smile appeared on her face and Areisha couldn't help but wonder what was in her mind. "Have you seen the sheet posted on the announcement board?"

At her words, Areisha rolled her eyes and released an annoyed groan. On her way to the cafeteria, she saw it and it almost soured her mood. It was the results for their recent examinations.

"I assume the groan means yes," Solana giggled.

"Oh that's right," Knox said, "you and Alec are tied at 1st in the ranking! Somehow I wasn't surprised." The twins suddenly burst out laughing and luckily she had control over her mind and stopped herself from shoving their faces on top of their meals.

"Why are you all laughing?"

Their attention fell on the approaching Alec. He was busy fixing the sling which held his injured arm. He then helped his triplets first on to the table and they began eating with Dia and Emera. He moved over and sat next to Knox.

Areisha's eyes fell on the object in his hand. It was half of her forearm's length and covered by a piece of brown cloth held by a string. Solana and Knox seemed to have noticed it too.

"What's that? Did Mr. Kreis give it to you?" Solana said as she pointed at the object. Areisha still hadn't taken her eyes off of it.

"Just something I asked him to return," Alec said. A lady came and gave him his food, and soon he was eating quietly while watching the Draelings on the other end of the table.

"Can I see it?" As always, Solana's curiosity―more like nosiness―took over again. When she finished she made a move to grab the object but Alec snagged it before her fingers reached.

"No," Alec said simply.

"Please?"

"No."

"I'll give you strawberries!"

"Tempting," Alec said. "But no means no."

"Oh Grandma Eden, are those strawberries for Alec?" Solana asked.

Alec turned his head behind him to look, as well as Knox. Areisha could only shake her head at the two for falling in to her best friend's trap. Like lightning, Solana tore the item from Alec's hand. She raised it above her head with a triumphant smile on her face. Areisha forced herself to ignore their schoolmates who stopped eating and watched them.

She almost jumped on her seat when Alec stood. He slammed his palm―the one on his good arm―on the table so loudly that the students around them quieted. He had a frown of irritation etched on his face.

"You know, your love for those berries will be the death of you someday," Solana commented.

"Give it back Solana." Alec said as he reached for it, only to have Solana jump away from her seat. "Give it now."