Chapter 44- Cooking and Talking

It's Christmas Break and I'm updating as much as I want while I can. :)

---------

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Dinner was awkward to say the least. The entire table was silent, with the exception of the clanging they made with their cutlery. Solana's presence was missing for she was in her room recovering from a fever. When Knox released him and Areisha from the chain, they went to their rooms. He surprisingly fell asleep a lot quicker and earlier than usual.

Alec's eyes fluttered open from his slumber when a bit of moonlight landed on them. It wasn't bright, but it still caused him to cover his eyes. He got off his bed to shut his curtains, rubbing his eyes in the process. With a yawn, he climbed back in bed, only to stay awake and stare up at the ceiling. Just when I thought I was finally getting some sleep, he thought. His gaze fell on his wall clock and saw that it was already quarter to four in the morning.

When his throat felt dry, he opted to go downstairs and grab a glass of water. He stepped out of his room and down the dim hallway to the stairs. When he reached the ground floor, he noticed the bright lights coming from the gaps on the dining room doors.

Wondering who would be up as early as him, he reached the doors and widened the crack between them. He peeked out and his brows knit lightly in confusion. Areisha stood by the table, peering down at a large book. Fresh green vegetables lay in a neat arrangement on a silver tray next to it.

"What are you doing?" he asked. Areisha jumped and he resisted the urge to chuckle when he heard her muttering a stream of profanities. Her dark blue eyes narrowed at him before she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"What are you doing?" she echoed. He shook his head before passing by her and entering the open doors of the kitchen.

"Getting a glass of water," he said. Once he grabbed a glass and filled it up with water, he went back to the other room and found Areisha sitting with her head buried in her crossed arms. "Would you like to answer my question now?"

She looked up at him, before her gaze fell on the now closed book. "I'm making a vegetable soup for Solana. I'm just waiting for Mrs. Muriel since she told me that if ever I tried cooking again, she doesn't want me to do it alone or I'll destroy the kitchen. It's a really simple recipe and I can do it, but I don't want to get an earful from her."

Alec raised a brow, and chuckle escaped his lips, which inevitably earned a glare from her. He placed the glass on top of the table, before pulling out a chair and sat. He reached out and slid the book to his front. Flipping the sheets, his eyes landed on the page where one corner was folded to serve as a marker. He read over the procedures for preparing the soup, before checking if all the ingredients were all on the tray.

"Can I help?" he asked. Areisha met his gaze and arched a brow at him. "The recipe is easy. I can cook it."

"You can cook?"

"Do I look like someone who doesn't know how to?"

Areisha paused and ran her blue eyes over his face. Oddly, her gaze almost made him squirm. She then nodded in reply. He shook his head and stood.

After lifting the tray of vegetables, he asked Areisha to bring the book. Soon, they were in the kitchen with him standing next to the island with a knife in his hand. He followed the instructions on the book and with expert hands sliced, minced, and peeled the vegetables.

"How long have you known how to cook?" Areisha asked. He turned to look back at her after mincing the mushrooms. He found her at his side and watching him work with a light frown between her brows.