Chapter 2-The Hunter and The Drae

Gelun Forest
Arktis Skyland
Northern Space

Snow scrunched beneath Alec's thick black boots. He made no sound as he threaded over behind a pale, leafless tree. Steely pale blue eyes locked on a deer, with fur so white it almost blended with the snow. He took the time to examine its small wings, making sure that it was slow enough to escape if he ever missed the first shot.

He took a deep breath to calm himself, forming a small cloud of mist as he exhaled. His fingers grabbed the flight of the arrow and nock it on his bow. His hands shook from the freezing temperature, the thin gloves he used, unable to provide the warmth he needed.

He crouched down as he kept his eyes on his prize. If he could catch it, it would give him enough food to last for a week without hunting.

I need a break, he thought drily.

He jumped out from his spot. With his crystal blue eyes as cold as the snow in Gelun Forest, he drew the string back. He let go, and the arrow whooshed through the cold thin air, hitting its target right on the neck. The creature's body shook as it fell, before stilling moments later. Its wings shined and broke into glitters of light, before a soft wind blew it along. Blood covered the spot around the dead animal, ruining the beautiful whiteness of the snow.

Alec let out a sigh as he slung his bow on his back. He tightened the belt where three rabbits hung, before fixing his fur coat tighter around his frame. Bending down on one knee, he placed a hand on the dead creature's soft pelt, and closed his eyes.

"Bless your soul dear offspring of nature," he said. "May you, find peace in our Lord's realm." He opened his eyes spoke once more, out of prayer. "I'm sorry. I wouldn't be doing this if I don't need to."

After staring at the deer's lifeless body, he decided that he spent enough time in the forest already. With the small buck slung over his broad and strong shoulders, he threaded up-slope, out of Gelun's leafless forest. Grunts escaped his lips, as the tiredness from hunting since the morning caught up to him.

Once he reached the top of the slope, he squinted to find the way home. After a full minute, he swerved to his right and to a path surrounded with nothing but endless snow. About half an hour later, he saw the small rundown wooden cottage that belonged to none other than him.

Feeling the air getting chillier as the setting sun bathed the sky in hues of yellow, orange, and violet, he decided to hurry. In no time, he reached the front of his battered wooden black door, and dropped the deer onto the rickety porch, along with the belt with rabbits.

He unlocked his home, before getting inside. A minute later, he came back with knives in his hand and decided to dress the animals before he could butcher them tomorrow. After an hour, he hung the deer on a tree near his home, with its stomach empty and gaping open with redness of blood dripping on the snow. He draped the rabbits over a low branch.

He went back inside and cleaned himself up. As he donned a thick wool shirt, and comfortable big trousers he made sure to add more wood to his fireplace, spreading warmth through his home. He then lit a candle, before night swallowed the whole Arktis Skyland. He stood next to his bed as he watched the candle's flame flicker, filling his home with light. He set it down on a large table, taking care to place it as far away from the piles of thick books he finished reading. Once he picked up the discarded clothes on the floor, he sat on his bed. He released all the tension and strength on his muscles and fell back with his head nestled on his pillow.

He sighed and drew the furs to his neck to get a good night's sleep. But sleep refused to take him in its arms, and he tossed around his small bed. Every movement made the bed squeak in protest, until the last thread of his patience snapped. He got up and marched to his porch with a scowl etched on his face. The light of the twin moons greeted his line of sight, along with the billions of stars that blanketed the sky.