Chapter 15-The Twins

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Solana walked through the elegant corridors as she fixed the Prefect band around her arm. She sighed as she took in the silence of the deserted hallways.

"Time to make my rounds!" she yelled. She fastened her pace, and she proceeded to check on the rooms, glancing inside if anyone chose to stay late for the day. The entire floor filled with the sound of doors opening and slamming shut. A couple of minutes later, she wiped the beads of sweat which formed on her forehead. Just when she thought that the entire level was empty, she saw a boy sitting on the sill of one of the large arching windows. He sat sideways, with his back leaning on the sill, and one leg drawn up to his chin, while the other dangled close to the floor. Her feet brought her closer and the frown on her face vanished when she saw who it was.

"Knox, what are you doing up here on the seventh floor?" she said. "I thought you were only going to be on the second and third floors." Knox gave her no answer as he stared out through the clear glass of the window. His stone face caused her brows to fly to her hairline, even though she was used to her brother's behavior.

"Kosmiks to Knox! Hello! Your beautiful twin sister is talking to you!" she said. Her hands flew to her hips, as she narrowed her gaze at him. This seemed to get his attention, but only for a moment, when he glanced at her from the corner of his eye. Solana sighed as she plopped herself on the wide windowsill across from her brother. She crossed her arms over her chest, as she faced him. "Okay Knox, what has you deep in thought? Normally you'd only ignore me like this if something's bothering you," she said. She heard him sigh, as he turned away from the window and fixed his gaze on her. He seemed to contemplate, as his brows knit together for a brief second, before he spoke.

"I was just thinking about three things," he said. "I was thinking of that strange blue egg, Alec's sudden appearance, and the larger number of guards situated in the entire skyland."

One side of Solana's lips pulled back as she stared at her brother, while holding in a chuckle. She failed though, and Knox sent her a glare as her giggles rang through the silent halls.

"Do you really have to think of all those things?" she said. "I thought you said you were going to stop that habit of yours, which is thinking of big reasons behind little things."

"This time, I can't help it," he said as he leaned forward toward her. "That egg may literally be little, but it's something to really talk about. And aren't you curious why somebody would just transfer in the middle of the school year, and Grandfather would allow it? Plus, haven't you noticed the increased number of security all over the campus? Tell me if those things aren't worth pondering on." Solana scratched the back of her head, as she yawned at him. While shaking her head, she spoke.

"Sometimes I wonder why we think so very differently even though we're twins," she said. "You have such a complicated way of thinking things.

First off, I was curious of the first two things you mentioned. But answers come as they please, and forcing yourself to find those answers just brings up more questions, and the cycle continues. The egg will soon hatch, and we can always ask Grandfather Donovan to tell us why he made an exception for Alec to transfer here. But I just don't know what the 'increased number of guards' you're talking about. It seems to me that security is just the same as before."

Knox sighed after her lengthy speech, as he seemed to register her words with knit brows.

"Sometimes I don't get why you're so logical, despite that most of the time, you're the insane one between the two of us," he said. Solana's cheeks puffed out as she sent him a glare. She crossed her arms over her chest, and jerked her head away with an audible "hmp." A smile fitted his lips as he watched her sister's change in behavior, before a chuckle escaped his lips. His serious mask though, returned not a moment later.