Chapter 11-A Day of Firsts

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

"Good morning everyone," he said. "I'm Alec Arden. It's nice to meet you all."

The whispers stopped, and the room fell quiet after he finished. He noticed how some raised their brows at him as if asking, if that was all he had to say. The air turned awkward as Alec stood there looking down at the floor. In the next moment, three figures flew towards him. He moved just in time before they could land on his head. A small smile formed on his face, when he saw three yellow creatures, in different shades, looking up at him with their tongues stuck out of their mouths. He bent down, and petted their silver heads, before motioning them away. "Go back to your Draeyer, little one," he said to the third reluctant Drae. All three Draes bounded back to their Draeyers' desks and soon curled into balls of adorable snores.

"Okay," Meolie said, effectively breaking the awkward air and gaining the attention of the students. "Alec, would you mind if your classmates would ask you questions?"

He shook his head sideways as his answer. Meolie gave him a shaky smile, before she faced the students.

"Alright, who has any questions for Alec?" she said. The moment she did, all 33 students in the room raised their hands. Alec's brows knit for second before his stone mask returned like it nothing happened.

Meolie pointed at one girl, and when the rest of the class fell quiet, she spoke.

"Where are you from?" she asked.

"Arktis," he said.

"How old are you?" another asked. Before Alec could speak up, more voices spoke up asking him different things.

"Will you guys stop with those pathetic questions?" a voice came from one corner of the room. A boy stood up from the highest tier seat, wearing the white version of the Academy's male uniform. His black eyes, regarded Alec coolly like he was a master looking over his servants. His fist clenched inside his pocket while his face remained void of emotion, waiting for the boy to continue.

"So you're the guy Areisha couldn't stop ranting about," he said. The room fell quiet, and even Professor Meolie dared not to utter a word. "You don't look like much."

"I'm glad you think so," Alec said before he yawned. He heard a few chuckles after he said that, and he noticed how the boy's eyes narrowed at him.

"Don't be like that River. You know very well he's not what you're thinking," another boy said. Alec recognized him as the redhead from earlier. He turned to regard him with his brown eyes and he smiled with a mischievous glint in his gaze.

"After all, he did get a perfect score on both the written and physical entrance exam," he said. "A feat only a few have achieved in Draeyer Academy's history. Care to share what preparations you did for it?"

Alec's eyes grew big as he heard this, as well as the rest of the students, including River. He tilted his head to the side, ready to ask what he was talking about, when the door to the classroom burst open.

"Alec!" a loud voice boomed. Alec winced as he recognized whose voice it was. He turned to face the door, and he stared into dark brown eyes, with his glassy blue ones.

"Head Ryder Kreis Hildegen," Meolie yelled at him. Alec's eyes grew big when he saw how a deep frown appeared on her and her kind face turned to one of anger. Kreis ignored him though, and turned to Alec with a big grin.

"There you are! I've been looking all over for you!" he said. He stepped closer, but Gael appeared from behind the door, and grabbed his arm.

"Kreis, I told you not to barge into any of the classes like that. You're being a disruption!" Gael yelled.