Chapter 8-The Little Draeling

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Fragrant scents filled his nostrils as his eyes took in the sight of the brightly colored flower garden. To get to the main building, Alec and Gael followed the cobblestone path which passed through the garden. A few heads turned toward them every now and then. Alec would look down and zone out when some students and teachers approached Gael to share some greetings. A few moments later, they stopped at the bottom of steps leading to the large open entrance of the giant structure. Alec craned his neck to get a better view of how big the building was.

"It's bigger and more beautiful up close, right?" Gael said. Alec snapped his attention to him, and looked down with a faint smile on his face.

"You're not used to interacting with people," the older man stated instead of asked. "You should learn to fix that here if you want a nice and happy stay in this place."

"I didn't even want to be here in the first place," Alec said. Gael only laughed and climbed up the stairs, as he shook his head. "I was serious about you not expecting me to get good grades," he said, but Gael continued to laugh.

When they reached the top, they passed though the entrance and Alec was met with the grandeur of the vicinity. Like the outside color, white covered the academy's walls as well as swirls and abstract carvings. Crystal chandeliers made of lamp-crimas hung on the cavernous ceilings, shedding enough light in the building. On either side of him, where a few students roamed around, he spotted wide hallways lined with big doors on one side. He looked over to the side, and his reflection stared back at him from the clean floor.

A red thick carpet covered the spot from the entrance and split in two at the bottom of two parallel curved staircases which both led to the second floor. Between the stairways, a lounge could be scene dotted with couches, multiple small cushioned seats and a low table with a vase of red flowers. They headed over to the sitting area and Gael stopped in front of one of the couches, before turning to him.

"Stay here," he said, and pointed at the blue cushioned single couch. Before Alec could utter a word, Gael passed through the lounge. Alec stood there and watched as he disappeared inside a grey-walled hallway not too far away from the staircases. Left with nothing else to do, Alec dropped himself on the chair, and rested one foot on one of his knees, while his arms draped over the armrests. He yawned, the fatigue from flying finally caught up to him. He rested his elbow on the armrest and cradled his head there as he leaned to the side. His eyes drifted closed, hoping to get a bit of sleep.

But before that could happen, shuffling of feet caused his eyes to fly open. He looked to the side, and spotted a group of students in their black, and white patterned uniforms running through the wide halls. Their heads whipped from right to left, as if looking for something. Some stopped in front of the lounge while the rest disappeared toward the hallway across from where they came from. Soon, he was left alone again, or so he thought.

He looked down when he heard faint thuds from under him. He saw nothing, but looked to the side of his chair when he heard it coming from his right. His brows knit when he saw nothing once more. He shook his head and looked to his front. His heart almost jumped out his chest in shock, as he came face to face with a creature. He leaned back on his chair and stared at the small emerald green animal seated on the low table giving him a toothless smile.

"Kosmos! Why do you Draes keep scaring the Blazen out of me?" he said as his shoulders slumped forward. The little creature directed a growl of laughter at him before hopping off the table. Its paws landed on the red carpeting and hopped over to one of the chair's armrests. "What are you doing, little Draeling?" Alec said. He chuckled when the baby Drae stepped onto his lap and looked up at him with big pink eyes. It nudged his chest before purring as it rubbed against him. A smile formed on Alec's face as he reached out a hand and petted the silver on its head. The Draeling continued to purr as he kept running his hand from its head to its spine. The small creature closed its eyes, and curled into a ball on his lap. "You seriously thought you could sleep on me?" Alec whispered, with a smile on his face.