Chapter 42-Surprise

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Gael pushed Star Dorm's entrance open, and held it for him. Alec frowned. First, they wouldn't let him carry the bag which contained his used clothes, even though it was so light a five year-old could kick it around like ball. Then they wouldn't let him climb on the incline connecting the dock to Float alone, because he might lose his balance. Next, they forced him to sit down in their cabin saying he shouldn't get tired during the duration of the trip. And now, they were holding doors open for him, which only added to his pent up annoyance.

"Will you two stop treating me like an invalid!" he said. "I'm better now!"

"We're not treating you like an invalid!" Kreis said from behind him. "We're taking care of you, so get your ass inside already!"

With grunt of annoyance, he entered and passed Gael who had an amused smile on his face. He was sure that Kreis had the same beam, and at that moment he wanted to wipe the looks off with his fists. When he got inside, he looked around. The first things which caught his eyes were the new chandelier hanging above and the blue and green couches which replaced the old ones. The colorful décor was a relief for his eyes who had seen nothing but plain white walls for the past one and a half weeks.

When he heard shrieks to his right, he smiled when he saw his Draelings with Uby and Dia, rubbing their heads against each other in greeting. His head snapped to the top of the curved steps when he heard a male voice.

"Alec!" Knox yelled before he twisted his body behind him. "Guys, Alec's back!"

Soon, Alec heard sets of running footfalls accompanied by Knox's steps down the stairs. When his friend reached him, Solana and Ceiver were half-way down the stairs. Knox raised a hand and ruffled Alec's hair with a smile on his face. The latter tried to glare back but he ended up reflecting the boy's expression.

"Careful," Gael said. "He's still a little unsteady on his feet."

Alec turned to narrow his eyes at him. "I already told you that I'm fine. You're just imagining things because you're overreacting."

However, his statement fell into deaf ears when his guardian turned to the head of Star Dorm. "Knox, make sure he doesn't strain himself and he will eat properly. I'll leave his medicine to you, because he might forget to take them...."

He continued to ramble on with his instructions and Alec rolled his eyes with a groan. He looked up at the ceiling and stopped himself from cursing the new profanities he picked up from Kreis. Lord Kosmos, help me, he thought.

His eyes trailed down, and they settled on Solana who stood a few meters away from him. It would seem that she had more interest on the blue carpeting since she never looked up at him at all. His brows knit, and his feet brought him to her. With some hesitance he placed his hand on one of her shoulders. To his surprise she stepped back and looked up at him with bloodshot eyes. He took note of the tears forming on the corners of them.

"I'm...I'm sorry, Alec," she said with sob. Alec tilted his head to his right while his eyes grew by a fraction. "I broke my promise and got nosy again. And because of that it ended with you and Areisha fighting and getting hurt. I'm terrible...." She broke out into cries before she could finish the sentence.

Alec took a step toward her, but a hand landed on his shoulder. When he looked back, it was Knox. He watched us Knox mouthed, "Let me." He nodded at him, before stepping aside so he could get to Solana. Knox wrapped his muscled arms around his sister and pressed his chest to her sobbing face. He ran his fingers through her blonde locks as he spoke with a soft tone.