Chapter 29-Gue

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

The doors slammed open with a bang.

Alec, who was reading while walking down the red-carpeted stairs, dropped his book as he jerked in surprise. He almost slipped, but his hand grabbed onto the banister before it could happen. Once he steadied himself, he looked to the direction of the entrance to find Solana and Areisha. One of his brows rose when he saw their normally clean selves caked in mud and dirt from head to foot. He grimaced when he thought of Solana's reaction once she sees herself in the mirror. He had experienced seeing it once, and he contented himself with that.

I better brace my ears, he thought.

"What in Kosmos' name happened to you both?" Knox yelled. Alec stiffened again when he heard his voice from above him. Annoyance coursed through his body, and he yelled, stopping whatever words Solana had to say to her brother.

"Stop popping up like mushrooms, for Kosmos' sake!" he said. "Bloody Blazen, I still have a pitiful life to live, and I don't want to die because of a heart attack!"

"It's not our fault you're jumpy!" Areisha spat.

"I wasn't talking to you, Roselintine!"

Silence followed after that and she inevitably narrowed her eyes and sent dagger glares on his way. He ignored her, and bent to pick up his red book. He continued walking down the stairs, his anger and annoyance diminishing with each step. Although the present frown on his face gave no indication of it happening. He slammed the book down on the center table and sat on the green single couch which Areisha usually occupied.

He watched as Knox threaded down the stairs with quiet steps and wary looks to his direction. Moments later, he stood in the common area, with one of his fisted hands on his hips.

"Where have you two been? I expected that you'd follow the rules and be here in two hours after classes ended. Yet you've been gone for four hours!" he said. "I knew this could happen with Solana, but Areisha..." he trailed off when his voice started rising. He pinched the bridge of his nose and Alec could hear him counting to ten. Once he calmed down, he looked up at Solana with worry clear in his grey eyes.

He rushed forward and threw his arms around his twin, uncaring of the filth covering her. Solana wasted no time in returning the embrace, burying her face in her brother's neck.

Alec smiled at that thought, and found himself longing to feel his own sibling's arms around him. He sighed at his ridiculous thoughts. When refocused his attention, he found Areisha staring at him with knit brows. Knox's voice stopped him from raising a brow at the brunette in question.

"I could feel your distress, Lana," he said. "Kosmos you had me so worried, you know that!"

Solana only sighed as she pulled away from him. She looked down at her once white uniform and cringed when she saw Knox's blue clothes dirtied from their embrace.

"One of the unnerving mysteries of having a twin," she said. "It's really unfathomable how we can feel each other's emotions when we're apart during dire situations."

"Dire situations?" Knox yelled. His nostrils flared as he frowned at his sister. He shifted his gaze to Areisha, and spoke.

"What exactly did you go through?" he said. "And by what Solana said, on what level of 'dire' was it."

Areisha kept her silence. Alec saw the way Solana was widening her eyes at her when Knox wasn't looking. He sighed and rubbed the creases which formed between his brows.

"She," the brunette paused, "had to use her Flame."

With his brows meeting in the middle again, Alec watched as Knox's face morphed from anger to a frown of concern. He placed his hands on Solana's shoulders and looked her up and down, as if trying to find any injuries.