Chapter 52-Friends

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

A sigh escaped his lips as he leaned on the wall. To his left, was the grey hallway leading to the headmaster's office. Entiny sat tall on one of his shoulders, while Midnight and Leyan lay curled at his feet. However, his ears soon caught the sound of light footsteps from the corridor. He waited as the steps grew louder until the person he was waiting for emerged into his line of sight.

At first, her dark blue eyes registered shock and she jerked on her spot when she saw him. She calmed and blinked as she met his gaze. When she broke eye contact, she fixed her attention on the sleeping green Draeling snuggling her chest.

"Did they tell you why I'm here at the Academy?" he asked. Areisha's arms tightened around Emera as she nodded. Alec sighed yet again as he pushed himself off the wall. Midnight and Leyan stood and followed as he walked away from the brunette. He paused in his steps when she spoke though.

"I have a feeling that you want to say something other than that."

It took a minute before he looked over his shoulder at her. She was approaching him with slow strides. The long pauses she made in between each step gave him the notion that she was being cautious about nearing him. He looked back to his front and stared down at his boots.

"I wanted to ask a few things about your mother, but...I assumed that you probably don't want to talk about her."

"What made you assume that?" he heard her ask. "I love talking about Mama."

He fell quiet and he quickly asked himself why he decided to go through with it in the first place. He blamed his unquenchable curiosity for it. Areisha's dark eyes snapped him out his thoughts. Jerking back from their close proximity, he wondered how she got in front of him without him noticing.

"Follow me," she said. "I want to ask you some things too." She pivoted and walked to the direction of the main doors. Entiny's tugging at his pants made him move and he caught up to her after a few long strides. As they descended the small steps, Areisha took the path leading to the Academy Garden. The last time he passed through there was when he first arrived in Draeyer Academy. Now that he thought about it, it felt like a long time ago after all that had happened in the past month and a half.

"What are we doing here?" he asked. His eyes fell on the trimmed hedges and topiaries and different flowers as they passed.

"Talking about it in the main wouldn't be a good idea," she said. "Riki and the other academy pressmen of the Weekly Eagle often scoot around there."

"What makes you think they wouldn't come here?"

Areisha paused and she twisted her body to look at him. One of her perfectly trimmed brows rows before she shook her head. She looked to her front and strode over to a stone bench before taking a seat. She placed Emera on her lap and stroked the flower markings on the Draeling's neck. He stood before her as he waited for her answer.

"You're very intelligent but sometimes you're too lazy to make deductions," she said. One his brows twitched in annoyance at what she said but he forced his mouth shut. "You said it yourself. Your senses are much better when you're outside. You'll be able to tell if someone's approaching. I understand how private this matter is for Headmaster Donovan."

Alec huffed before his eyes fell on the empty spot next to her on the bench. Seeing it was too small for him to sit without making body contact with her, he settled for the grass near her feet. His triplets followed his actions and they lay clumped together next to him. While his eyes were trained on a patch of red roses, he spoke.