alternate ending part 1

I watched the screen as I walked closer, knowing what was coming but not daring turn away, "Just one small thing, please," on the screen I was crying now, and his temper was rising.

"No means no, are you trying to ruin everything?!?" He was all but screaming now.

"I don't want to see them in person, just a phone call, I just want to apologise and say goodbye please," I cried, following after Mark like a lost puppy, begging for something, for anything.

"NO!"

"Please! I won't tell him about the babies, i- I promise, I just want to say goodbye,"

"I SAID NO!" I flinched turning my face away from the screen, as he turned and pushed me, not having the heart to watch myself trip and fall, bump first. Knowing that was the moment, that I'd begin to lose my little boy. Knowing the pain was all but instant.

We all watched in complete and utter silence as I cried out in agony, begging him to stop and help me, "Please, don't leave me! The babies, something's wrong!" I was screaming, calling out for him to something, for anything. Swearing I would never pester him about seeing Luke again, that no one would try and contact them again if he helped me.

He simply knelt down by my side, "That's your final warning, leave and don't come back. I won't be so nice next time," then he straightened himself up, and left me there, whimpering before falling unconscious.

We fast forwarded until the next active moment in the footage, almost two hours later, after many failed attempts of me trying to crawl to my phone across the room to call for help, when Liz and Jack came home and found me on the round and rushed me off to the hospital, the screen going blue once the footage ended. I moved forward, closing the laptop screen as everyone backed away from it in shock.

"So, now you know what happened," I sniffled, "We have the evidence, so what now?" I cried quietly, Luke's arms wrapping around me from behind.

"It's all done," Liz spoke up, catching all of our attention, "I've just emailed the video file to your record label, the police and the the woman who appointed him as your manager,"

"So what now?" Luke asked, his hand gripping mine tightly.

"We wait,"

Hours passed, various police statements were given and all of mine, Sydneys and Lucas's medical records were dug up again. People were in and out of the Hemmimgs residence, more people than I could recollect or name.

"Miss Reases?" I looked up to see one of the doctors that had delivered the twins entering the room.

"Miss Martin, thank you for coming," I stood up, greeting the woman with a hug. She had been by my side from the second I was admitted to the day I left with little Sydney and a broken heart.

"It's no problem Lily, you know more than anyone I've wanted to see that man pay for what he did to you," she smiled sitting down beside me. Her gaze switched to Luke and the other guys who were sat around waiting for news, "That and for Luke to finally be in both your lives again,"

I smiled, feeling more at ease now someone was here who had been through the entire ordeal with me, "Me too," turning to Luke I explained, "This is Doctor Martin, she looked after me when your mum and Jack rushed me to the hospital, she delivered the twins, stayed with me through the struggle with Lucas up until the day I was discharged with Sydney,"

"I guess I'll forever be in your debt then Doc, I'm beating myself up for the fact I wasn't there but knowing Lily wasn't alone is comforting, so thank you,"

"It's no problem Mr. Hemmings, I know how difficult this all must be to come to terms with so quickly, having it all dug up again now is hard, even for me," the doctor sat with a uneasy expression.

"It's like living Lucas's passing all over again, the probing questions and talking about his health deteriorating," I nodded, "Did they say anything to you?"

"Just asking of causes of labour, all the things I recorded in my official report really, oh and the handover requested in Lucas's finals days in the ICU,"

"With Doctor Edwards?"

"Yeah, they've interviewed him and wanted CCTV footage for that unit too, a little out of the ordinary but they want to be thorough I suppose," the doctor sighed, exhaustion clear in her features, "I should be heading off now, I'm on call but I wanted to check how you were doing,"

"Thank you again, it means a lot that you're here," I hugged her, showing her towards the door.

"I'll see you next week, Sydney ready for her jabs?"

"Always is," I smiled, when a detective called me from the kitchen, "I better go, I'll see you soon,"

As I watched Doctor Martin drive away, I closed the door before quickly scurrying over to the kitchen where various investigators, hospital security and representatives from the boys label were gathered, "What's going on?"

"Mark Leronson has been arrested and we have enough evidence of his assault and threats against you, your families and your children's lives to charge him indefinitely," the first man who had arrived early this morning spoke up, a look of discomfort and agitation was across his face.

I exhaled with relief, "So we finally get justice for Lucas, he will finally pay for taking my little boy from me, for taking his life,"

One of the other officers flinched slightly before speaking out, "Not exactly," he glanced to his fellow officers, "Lily, from the day Mark assaulted you to the day he approached you last week in the parking lot, have you seen or had contact with Mr Leronson?

"No, I mean I tried to contact him to talk to Luke but you know he intercepted or blocked my attempts each time, you have records of that,"

"You never saw him in or around the hospital at all while you were admitted there?" A agent from the record label added, a serious look spread across her features.

"Of course I didn't, after he pushed me he went back to Los Angeles, well I assume he did anyway," I glanced from one authority figure to another, looks of discomfort and disdain on all their faces.

An eerie silence fell over the kitchen, Luke stood beside me, clearly confused as to why all these questions were being thrown around, questions that were a complete 180 to every other one I had answered, "Why does it matter where Mark was? You have him in your custody now? He can be charged with murder? Or manslaughter right?" Luke all but growled as no one appeared to be offering up an explanation.

"Mr Hemmings, we can't charge a man with murder or manslaughter of an infant if the infant in question isn't really dead,"