T h i r t y S i x

"Mummy, can you tell me my bedtime story today with daddy too? When we go home" Sydney asked as we carried our dinner plates into the kitchen, where I told Liz I would clean up after us all.

Liz had cooked up a huge Chicken roast during the time Luke met with Sydney again and us working on them getting well acquainted. Ashton, Calum and Michael turned up three and a half hours later, much to Sydneys delight at finally being able to meet her other two Uncles and see Michael again, so as the evening drew to an end, we all sat round the table, Sydney sat in her booster chair and we all had a lovely meal.

I ran the hot water, squirted in a little washing up liquid and as I waited for the soap the lather, I picked up Sydney, situating her on my hip, "Of course honey, I mean I'll ask daddy but I'm sure he won't mind at all," I smiled, glad she was so quickly readjusting to Luke being a part of our lives, "You're a very smiley monkey today, aren't you?"

"Yeah mummy I am cause all my family are togever and I wove them," she beamed back at me, pecking my cheek and wiggling to get down, I put her back on her feet and she ran off back in to the living room, where everyone had gathered around the TV to watch a movie Ben had picked.

"Hey princess you off?" Luke voice asked, as I assume he passed Sydney running back to everyone engrossed in the film.

"Yes daddy, I'm gon watch the movie wiv everybody, love you byeee," she answered in a rush, not stopping once as her primal object was not to miss the movie.

I finished rinsing off the last of the dishes, placing it on the rack to dry, then draining the sink. I continued then to wipe down the counters with lemon scented anti bacterial spray and clean the counters, lifting my head up I saw Luke watching me with a slightly amused expression but his face displayed a little surprise, "She just told me she loved me,"

I smiled, enjoying his shock upon hearing his daughter so easily tell him she loved him, "That's cause she does Luke, this is all new to you and I understand that, I understand it's gonna take time but to her, you've always been in her life remember. You were a constant presence in her life and she loves you unconditionally," I placed the hand towel back on the island counter and made my way over to him, waiting for him to respond.

He shook his head chuckling, "It's not gonna take me any time at all,"

"Whys that?" I challenged his answer, an eyebrow raised as I stood in front of him.

"I already love her, she's absolutely incredible, she beautiful and intelligent. She's so in awe of everything around her, so aware of the world and what matters. She's kind, caring and so loving and she's only three years old. She's everything I ever wanted in a child of my own, everything I dreamed of a daughter of mine being," Luke took a step closer and smiled, "And I can't thank you enough for giving her to me, you've given me more than I can ever asked for. You've raised her so well, you've raised a beautiful, polite and considerate little girl and I love her, I love my little princess,"

Luke's POV

The words came to me without effort, they flowed out in effortless streams because they were true, "You've raised her so well, you've raised a beautiful, polite and considerate little girl and I love her, I love my little princess,"

And I love you too. I thought to myself.

But I didn't tell her that part, I couldn't.

Despite four years of distance and all this news I'd found out this past week, that one thing hadn't changed.

I was still in love with Lily and I still didn't have the guts to tell her.