T w e n t y E i g h t

a/n warning: quite sad, skip if you need too. I'm bawling my eyes out rn, pictures off google•

"Lucas Andrew Hemmings," Luke sniffled, sitting on the grass, in front of the words carved in stone, "How? How did he? Y'know?"

"They were born prematurely, they wasn't due until the end of September but due to stress I went in to labour mid July," I wiped my eyes furiously, getting mad at myself for losing it when Luke needed an explanation, "They were s- so weak and tiny , wh-when they were born, they were barely bigger than my hand Luke,"

Ugly sobs escaped my throat as I showed him using hand motions how small they were, "I named them as soon as I held them both, the names coming to me naturally as I wanted something meaningful to us both like I told you," I decided talking about other things around the time of the birth in between the painful information would keep me stable, "Lucas being what I called you when we were little ourselves and I already explained Sydneys name to you," I took a breath as the harder part came, "The nurses told me they'd need to be in incubators for over eight weeks, they were too weak and fragile to even breath alone, they were ten weeks early which for some babies is okay to survive but for twins is more challenging because they're smaller at birth, naturally and there's one who's usually bigger than the other, a lot of organs had barley formed or even started, more so with Lucas than Sydney,"

"They both fought so hard, and were both making perfect progress at one point and I was so sure I'd be going home with two beautiful babies until that nurse told me Lucas was starting to struggle and fall behind Sydney's progress, she had developed more during the pregnancy to begin with but the midwife had said I didn't need to worry about that because he'd grow gradually between then and the end of the third trimester so he'd be fine but we didn't foresee an early stress related labour," I paused, tears streaming down my face as I pulled at the grass frustratingly, "In the end he stopped breathing, even with the support his lungs weren't developed enough to hold on, he was just four weeks old Luke and I only ever got to hold him once, once in four fucking weeks," all my strength vanished in an instant as I lost my chain of thoughts and cried for my lost baby boy, our lost boy.

"I'm so sorry baby, I'm so fucking sorry, I should've been here oh my god," Luke's tears soaked my shirt as he clung to me sobbing, "I, I lost three years with my daughter because of my manger and four tiny weeks I could of had a- with my, my boy too, I hate that controlling asshole, I hate him Lil, I fucking hate him," Luke screamed, his anger pouring out as he cried and yelled at the man in question, holding me close all the while.

The same man who I spoke to and argued with the day I went into early labour.