• after •

Thirteen years later.

"Mummy, do you think we'd be friends?
        "Oh baby girl I know you'd be best friends,"

"Do you think he would be proud of me?"
"i know he would baby girl."

"Now go on, go make us proud Sydney,"
•••

"... I've been here for what seems like an entire lifetime, I've been through some tough times and sometimes I didn't think I'd make it to the end,"

"I know I'm making high school seem a lot more miserable and tough than how it must seem to anyone outside of it but it's true,"

"In tough times, I turned to my friends, we stuck together and kept each other going when one of us fell down,"

"In tougher times though, I turned to my parents, who are so strong and so so bloody brave-" I paused for a second, taking a breath so the tears wouldn't fall, I wanted to be strong for them, "Who've been through so much more than I, they've endure loss, distance and more pain than the average person should be able to handle,"

"I've watched them survive things others wouldn't and just watching them, how they are together and how much they love one another, gives me hope and strength to carry on. They held me up without even knowing it and they didn't even know it,"

"I've gone through high school with half of me missing, half that no one can replace and I can only hope now, that my brother Lucas is proud of me and loves me despite my touch of clumsiness and lack of coordination,"

"High school is the time to make the wrong choice, chose the wrong path and make mistakes, its the time where consecutively crying and laughing totally acceptable and probably the only time they'll let you off the hook for wearing the same shirt for an entire week even with the cheeto stain on the front,"

"I think I used the time wisely, I mean, I graduated right?" I chuckled along with the crowd, happy my speech was flowing how I'd pictured it, "I had the honour of learning along side you all and now I have the honour to congratulate you and wish you all well in the future, be proud of who you are and what you've achieved here guys, the choices are all yours now, Sydney out," I saluted the crowd, laughing as I left the stage.

•••

"You're watching your graduation video through again?" My husband, Nathan smiled sitting down on the couch beside me.

"Yeah, it's one of my favourites, seeing my mum and dad so happy together and proud of me, it makes me hopeful, one day we'll be at Doms graduation just like they were at mine," I smiled, turning to face him and kidding me gently.

"I love you Nath,"

"I love you too Sydney,"

•••

the end.