Task Eight [F]: Expiration

<><><>

expiration: the ending of the fixed period for which a contract is valid.

<><><>

Pluto Solaris is dead.

His last labored breath took place in the Gamemaker's tower, before the controls he had devoted two years two and spent his entire life trying to reach. He had spent the last few minutes of his life muttering a name deliriously until his mouth could no longer form the three syllables. He'd known he was hallucinating, just like the tributes had- he'd memorized the symptoms of the disease he'd so perfectly mastered.

The disease that would kill his country.

His mind, in those few moments before, constructed a figure desperately pressing the controls that orchestrated what went on in the arena. They scurried back and forth, desperately trying to save one tribute from the deadly sickness that was about to overtake them. "Paella..." he whispered. There's nothing you can do.

She had always wanted everything to be perfect. She had always been able to maintain order within the arena's chaos. He had failed. He had been chosen, and he had failed his very first year. Because of him, she wore a gas mask, had shrouded herself in protective material. Because of him, one tracker dot on the screen blinked rapidly, then faded. She did not sound a cannon, other buttons taking priority.

Another blinked. Another star in his sky twinkling until it was consumed by darkness.

He stilled.

If anyone else had survived, they would have known that what Pluto Solaris had seen hadn't been quite as unrealistic as he'd thought.

But there was only one.

<><><>

THE TASK:

Welcome to the Finals, everyone! Unfortunately, you're dead. Yep, that's right- nobody was able to save you from the sickness. This task, your assignment is to describe your character's experience in death. Since this is such an ambiguous topic, you are free to go in almost any direction you please. Additionally, since this is the final round, you might want to put some effort into this entry. Give your tributes a strong finish.

<><><>

Word Count Maximum: None. Go wild.

<><><>

Due Date:

EDT: Friday, 7 April 2017, 20:00pm

Please note the change in time.

<><><>

Have fun, everyone! If you have any questions or need to confirm something, please do not hesitate to ask. Hope to read great things from you this round, as it's the last one in the entire Games!

<><><>