Chapter Thirty Eight: You look like a cavewoman.

*The tilted dialogue of the chapter are quotes from previous chapters. Just in care you don't pick up on it. Alright, bye!

7:45

The paper flutters to the ground and all I can think is, why the hell am I still here?

Next thing I knew, I was running.

I ran past my mom in the kitchen - hearing the faint sounds of her softly humming to the tune of 'Only You' by the Platters. I ran out of my front door and through my front yard, through Greyson's - past Reggie the lawn gnome and part Jacob. Still standing in the middle of the lawn with a smile on his face.

"Thank you!" I yell back at him as I push my feet past their limit.

I hear him laugh as I reach the end of our block.

"Don't let me down, Skye Hastings."

I smile and take the next left turn, I look down at my watch.

7:56

I have to make a stop first.

***

I barge into her room with my breath ragged and my feet propelling me towards her before I can even stop.

Her and Liam both look up at me with wide eyes and jump off of the bed.

"You look like a crazy women," Liam shrieks out as I fall into his lap as I give him a hug.

I laugh and sit up with a smile towards him "I don't care. I love you."

He raises an eyebrow "now I'm really scared. Are you dying or something?"

I roll my eyes "no. But things are about to change. I love you."

I look towards Sam. She's obviously still pissed at me. For good reason. But I'm about to change that.

I stand up and before she can stop me I wrap her in a hug.

"You're my best friend. I love you. I'm sorry I've been such a wreck. I just needed to figure things out."

She groans and wraps her arms around me completing the hug. "I'm guessing you read the letter?"

I step out of the hug and look down at the time.

8:30

"I did. And I only have thirty minutes."

It's a rare thing to see Sam Mason smile.

But when you see it; it's a real, pure, thing to experience.

You should ever be so lucky to have the opportunity.

She looks me up and down "are you sure you don't want to take a shower or something?"

I scoff "like it will matter? I'm gonna end up running again."

"You can always take my car?" Liam puts in.

I smile back at him "grateful of the opportunity. But this is more dramatic." I head towards the door "and I'm anything if not dramatic."

***

I swerve around the crowds of people as I look up at the street signs. 22nd and 1st. 22nd and 2nd. Ah! 22nd and 3rd.

I push through a group of teenagers as they stand awkwardly looking down at their phones.