Chapter Twenty Four: Underwear...

This chapter is dedicated to booksaremysoul15 for the amazing covers! Thank you so much! (:

November 24th

"Are you insane?"

I shrug, because honestly I think I might be. Not only am I asking my mom this on Thanksgiving - mom's ultimate holiday - but I'm also asking after being told by everyone that this is a bad idea.

Pretending to be Greyson Blacks girlfriend is the least of my worries. No, my main worry is how I'm going to survive the scolding from my mom. She barely lets me go to the grocery store by myself, it's doubtful that she will allow me to go to New York.

Still in my head I don't know how I got here. Standing in front of my brother while he tells me how bad of an idea this is. Not only because I'm going to New York with Greyson. But because I'm going to attend a party for Greysons dad while pretending to be Greysons girlfriend.

The camping trip was almost two weeks ago and since we've been on break since then I haven't had to see anyone. By anyone I mean Cole.

And now. On Thanksgiving I'm going to ask my mother if I can go with Greyson to New York to dance around with snobby rich people because I really want to know what the last task is. Because Greyson being the lovely boy he is. Won't tell me until I finish this task.

Speaking of Greyson. He's been avoiding me like the plague. Even though he's been acting as if everything is alright I know it's not. Ever since the tree, things have not been normal.

Greysons been even more mysterious and distant. He hangs out with Rowan whenever he's in town, but he'll see me and not say a word. I've played it off like it's a normal thing but truth be told. I miss him.

I, Skyler Hastings, miss Greyson Black.

I would talk to someone about it but to be honest I wouldn't know what to say. I feel like my soul is being ripped out of my chest when he doesn't even glance my way as he follows Rowan into his room? That's not dramatic at all or anything...

It's like the beginning of freshman year all over again. Greyson drifting away but this time my heart doesn't feel hate and rage. I feels something much stronger. Something that scares the living hell out of me and I don't want to even acknowledge it. Something that I've never felt before.

Everything should have went back to normal after the mud pit. Everything should have fallen back into its normal rhythm. With Greyson being charmingly annoying and me being so desperately enticed by his antics but never willing to admit it to anyone but myself.

But it's not back to normal. It's not all hunky dory. It's confusing and complicated.

So that's why I'm risking getting my head torn off by my mom on Thanksgiving. So that I can fix whatever it was between me and Greyson. I'm going to forget about the almost kiss. I'm going to act like nothing ever happened. And I'm going to be the best god damned pretend girlfriend there ever was.

Because that's what you do for friends.

And even though I never thought in a million years I would admit this or be completely excited about the aspect of it. Greyson Black is my friend.

"Can't you at least wait until the ham is finished. Don't ruin the ham, Skye. We need the ham!"

I stare at my brother with bored amazement. Some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth baffles me. Ham! Ludicrous!

"I have to ask her before Amy and Greyson come over. He leaves in two days."

Rowan puts his hands on his hips, "and why didn't you ask her earlier, young lady?"