Chapter 19

I'd been walking for what felt like hours. Luckily I hadn't run into any wolves since they were all looking for Crystal on the other side of the territory. I just needed to get to Brett so he would let Crystal go. Once she was free I knew it would only be a matter of time before Andrew found me. No doubt Crystal would run and tell him everything, and then easily be able to help track me again.

I knew doing this put me and my child in danger, but I'd give up my life a thousand times over to keep my loved ones safe. This was my fault. I needed to be the one to fix what I've done.

Maneuvering my way through the thick blanket of trees I cursed at myself for not slipping on some shoes before rushing out the back door. I didn't actually know where the boarder was. Wolves have a way of knowing whos territory is whos, but I'm basically lost in a corn field right now. I have no idea where to go.

I stopped for a moment and listened. All I heard for a moment was the deep coo of an owl somewhere in the trees, and rustling of leaves a few yards away from small animals. I strained my ears a bit more until I finally heard it. Running water. I know most packs like to separate boundaries by rivers so I took that to be my best option. Slowly stepping around the dozens of sticks littering the floor I followed the sound of rushing water for a few more minutes until I finally came to a small opening just infront of the river.

I walked to the bank and stuck my feet in allowing the running water to remove some of the dirt from my feet. A rustling in front of me caught my attention and my head immediately snapped up to find the source. three burly men stepped out of the trees on the other side of the forest. I didn't recognize two of them, but the one on the left I remembered from a few encounters in my old pack.

"Victoria?" the man in the center asked. I noticed some markings on his hands, but was too far away to clearly make out what they were. I nodded my head slowly and watched as a smirk etched its way onto his face. "This way," he instructed moving his hand to gesture towards a fallen tree crossing the river which acted as a bridge.

I followed his instructions and made it half way across the trunk of the tree before I stopped, "Where is Crystal?" I questioned stepping back so the man couldn't grab me.

He crossed his arms over his chest cooly, "Alpha will let her go once he has you. Now come." He beckoned before laughing.

I scowled at his tone, but hesitantly made my way across the other half of the trunk careful to not slip and fall. I had barely stepped off the trunk before strong hands grabbed me and began hauling me along a trail leading to god knows where.

"Let go!" I exclaimed trying to pull free of his vice-like grip. The man grunted and yanked me forward almost causing me to lose my balance. "I can walk on my own." I grumbled pulling back again.

In an instant the man turned back to me, "Stop fighting me or I'll give you something to moan about," he threatened. I shut my mouth and tried to keep up with his quick pace.

We'd been walking for about 10 minutes on this trail before we turned into a blanket of trees once again which made it harder for me to keep up since I was trying to avoid stepping on anything sharp. The man holding me sped up even faster and I hadn't had enough time to register the new pace so I caught my foot on a root of a bush and found myself toppling to the ground. My knees hit first effectively cutting and drawing blood, and if I hadn't put my right hand down I would have landed face down in the dirt.

I winced as the man yanked me up again, "Watch it!" he grumbled. I scowled and looked down to find my hand all cut up as well, but didn't have time to think about it as the man again started dragging me through these trees. I turned back and found the other two men following close behind, but searching around for unwanted company.