chapter 10

Andrews POV

My wolf was ecstatic. I decided to let him fully take over as we ran through the forest. He was yipping and dancing and playfully pouncing on anything and everything. He was acting like a pup honestly which would be embarrassing if anyone but Conner was here to see it, but I know he needs this time to be excited. It's been a hard few months not being able to touch our mate the way he wanted to. This is just a baby step, but it feels like a mile because of how long we've been waiting.

We came to the river at the edge of our territory and sat down as we waited for the Alpha and Beta of the North Shore pack to arrive for our unofficial official meeting. Conner approached and sat down beside me out of breath.

"You know, you should probably get your wolf under control when the North Shore pack gets here or you're not going to be taken seriously." Conner advised through or mind link.

My wolf growled lightly, "He's not an idiot Conner. He'll pull it together. He's just excited let him be excited."

Conner laid down and rested his snout on his paws in front of him, "I know man. I'm really happy for you. So are you going to mark her now?"

My wolf perked up at the thought of claiming her as mine officially, "I still need her permission Con."

Conner looked at me through the corner of his eye, "What? But she's your actual mate. I thought you only needed permission if y'all weren't mates. Like if both of your mates had died?"

"She's a human." I shook my head at him, "didn't you read about human mates?"

He rolled his eyes, "I don't read Andrew."

"Well you should fix that."

There was a long silence between us. The only sounds coming from the rapid flow of the water and Conner still trying to get his breathing under control.

Finally, Conner broke the silence, "so are you going to explain it to me? Or do I have to guess?"

I took a breath, "Even though she's my actual mate given to me by the moon goddess I still have to have her permission to mark her or the mark will soon fade. The moon goddess pairs us with humans because they are meant for us, but she still wants us to give them a chance to decide if they want to be with us. We can't just expect them to change their whole lifestyle for us just because we're mates."

"But why not? They're your mate for goodness sa-"

"There's a lot of risk with having a human mate. For one they're more vulnerable. Two, there's a chance they could become a were if the mark goes too deep. And three, the pregnancy could kill them if not handled and treated properly. It makes sense that we have to be given permission." I explained.

There was a brief silence as Conner took in what I'd just told him. "Well, you shouldn't have a problem with Victoria accepting you since she already knows these risks and she's grown up with wolfs."

I nodded, "Yeah, but she grew up with awful wolves. That's why shes so scared. That's why its taken this long just to kiss her."

Conner scoffed, "I don't know how you do it man. When I found out Crystal was my mate I couldn't keep my hands off of her. We were mated that night." He smiled, "Damn that was a good night, she kept squealing every time I would-"

"Alright! That's enough dude, that's my sister." I scolded.

He cleared his throat, "Right, awkward. Sorry man I just got carried away."

Suddenly my wolf stood tall, tail pointed, ears back, snout raised in the air. Conner soon followed my lead. I looked across the river through the trees as Alpha Reid and Beta John came through to stand on the bank of the river across from us.