Chapter 15

I groaned at the killer headache I had, which I assume was from the annoying beeping coming from behind me, and slowly lifted my hand to my head to massage it out. I tried to swallow but found it difficult and realized it was because of the tube down my throat. I squeezed my eyes shut in pain as I ripped the tape holding the tube in place off my face and braced myself for the uncomfortable sensation I was about to feel. I grabbed the tube and began pulling it out and instantly started gagging. I could feel it dragging up my esophagus, and my stomach wanted nothing more than to throw up whatever was in my stomach from the tube. I gripped it again and managed to pull it all the way out without vomiting.

Why was there a tube in my throat? What happened? Where am I? Is Andrew okay? And then everything came back to me.

I shot up in bed with a start taking in the largest breath of air my lungs could hold. It took a minute for my eyes to clear the black dots from my vision before they focused on the sheets in front of me. I looked around trying to remember what happened and noticed I was in the clinic room, but I'd been transferred onto a bed instead of that hard table I was on. The annoying beeping sound behind me was getting on my last nerve and I turned to see a monitor and drip bag standing beside the bed. I followed the tubes and wires down to where they connected on my arm and pointer finger and immediately ripped them out with shaky hands. The monitor turned from an annoying beep to a screeching noise when the line went flat. I quickly leaned over and pressed the button on the bottom corner and was pleased when it shut off.

I strained my ears for any noise indicating that someone was around. I couldn't help but wonder where everyone was. How long had I been out? Did everything go smoothly? I would assume so because I'm alive right now. I scooted to the edge of the bed and let my legs dangle off the side. Someone had dressed me in a pair of shorts and a loose fitted shirt and I was freezing. I needed to go find Andrew. Just the thought of seeing him gave me some energy to stand. Instantly I my vision became blurry and I gripped onto the mattress behind me until it cleared again. My knees were wobbily and it took me a minute to gain my balance, and with shaky slow steps I made my way to the door.

I held onto the doorknob for a few seconds so I wouldn't fall over. Pulling the door open I was instantly shocked at the scene in front of me. The side table that usually stood outside the clinic door was smashed into pieces along with the large vase that had been holding a bunch of red roses. The roses were wilted and there wasn't any water on the floor so I assume this must have been done a while ago. I couldn't understand why no one would have cleaned it up yet. I then noticed a few holes in the wall and followed them up the wall until I was staring in the shattered mirror in front of me.

I stilled as I took in the girl in the mirror. I took a step closer to get a better view, which was difficult due to how many cracks were in the mirror. She had sunken dark eyes which stood out from her pale skin. You could see some of the veins under her skin. Her lips were dry and cracked and I watched as she ran her tongue over them to help give them some moisture and color. Her face was slim and her cheekbones and jaw line stood out. Her hair was greasy and tangled. She looked like she was dying.

That couldn't be me. I raised my hand to my face and watched in horror as the reflection did the same. How long had I been asleep? I needed to see Andrew right now.

I did my best to step over the mess in the hall, then clutching to the wall I scooted to the stairs noticing along the way that the paintings still hung on the wall were crooked, but some of them were broken lying on the floor or torn to shreds. A chill ran through my spine. I needed to know if Andrew was okay. Did someone get in? was there an attack? Who did all of this? My heart was racing a hundred miles a minute.