Chapter 22

Luke’s Point of View

          I watched eagerly as the lady checked her computer. “I’m so sorry. You just missed it. Was it your flight?” she replies in a British accent that I wasn’t expecting. “No just a friend’s flight. Thank you anyway” I reply. I feel as if I’ve just been deflated or got the wind knocked out of me. Calum mutters a string of curse words under his breath. We start our walk out of the airport and I look up at the florescent lights to keep the tears out of my eyes. So close. I can’t believe I let her slip away. My mind plays over every different scenario of how the morning could have gone in order to have gotten here in time. It’s no use though, but I can’t help myself. This sucks.

Sydney’s Point of View

          I was fast asleep on the plane until a voice woke me up. “Syd wake up. We’re landing.” Maggie says pulling on the sleeve of my green military jacket. I jerk awake and move my head towards the window. We sat side by side watching the scenery come into view and the blobs become broccoli and the broccoli become trees.

          “The weather looks promising” I say looking at the dreary sky.

          “Welcome to London” the pilot and Maggie say at the same time. We look at each other and burst out in laughter before gathering up our stuff. “My parents should be waiting for us.” She says as we leave the airplane and make our way to baggage claim. The airport was busy and filled with excited travelers, tired people, and rambunctious children. I see Maggie’s parents waving at us before she does and I steer her toward them.

          “How was the flight?” her mother says after she hugged the both of us.

          “Sydney slept the whole way. I had her snacks along with mine and watched the movie they were showing. The movie was weird.” Maggie replies.

          “Well it’s nice to see both of you got here safely” Mr. Wood says taking our luggage.

          “It’s nice to see you again Sydney. You are just going to love the house. It is significantly smaller than our other home, but it has a lot of character and a phenomenal location.” Mrs. Wood says as we walk towards the car.

          “Sydney your stuff should be here within the next two days according to what I was told.” Mr. Wood adds.

          “You can borrow some of my stuff in the meantime. Oh, and I have some projects for the room I want you to help me out with. After all this is your new home too.” Maggie says. “How far did you park?” she asks her father only slightly irritated.

          “It’s a pretty busy airport so it’s not easy to find quality parking.” He says. “We should be right about here.” He says unlocking the car once we get a clear view of it.

          “Oh and I have a surprise for you girls when we get home. I almost forgot.” Mrs. Wood says as we all load up into the car. I feel the anxiousness rising in me as we leave the airport. New city, new school, new house, new opportunities. I feel like the weight of Australia is off my chest and I’m finally able to take a deep breath.