Chapter 19

Luke’s Point of View

          Calum and I woke up at a normal time this morning and we took our sweet time getting ready this morning. “Okay I’m so tired of the phonebooks” Calum says as he fixes his hair. “Me too. I think it’s time for a different approach” I say. “Yeah, like what?” he asks. “How about we drive into town near the venue and hang out and ask around and see if anybody knows her” I suggest. “You do realize how strange that will look. ‘Hi I’m the celebrity Luke Hemmings and I was wondering if out of all the people who live in this general area if you know this one particular girl’ because that doesn’t sound crazy.” Calum says his voice dripping with sarcasm. “It beats phone books” I shrug. “Barely” Calum says as we grab our backpacks and head out.

          We stopped at a little Café for breakfast. “Hi, I’m Claire and I will be serving you today. What can I get you to drink?” an eighteen year old looking girl asks us. She has bottle blonde hair and bags under her eyes, but she has naturally pretty facial features. “Have any tea?” Calum asks. “Sure do” she replies. “I have some tea then” Calum says. “Me too” I say. She gives us a quick smile before leaving. The Café was a good size and there were two other waitresses hopping about. One looked about eighteen also with chocolate brown hair in a side braid, and she also had bags under her eyes. The other looked about late thirties and she was a plump woman with a kind face and her hair pulled back into a bun. “Here are your drinks” Claire says setting our teas in front of us. “Are you ready to order?” she asks pulling out her notepad. “Actually I have a quick question first” I say. “Sure” she says with a faint smile. “Do you happen to know a girl named Sydney Highland?” I ask. She looked confused for a second and then the wheels started turning. “Highland” she whispers to herself. She motions the other young waitress over. “Beth do you know a Sydney Highland?” she asks the other girl. “That name sounds familiar. You don’t think that could be Bri’s sister do you?” she says. “The weird one who dated Jase?” Claire asks. “I think so, because I think the other one is named Savannah” she says. “You don’t happen to know where she lives do you.” I ask hopefully. “Do you have Bri’s address?” Beth asks Claire. “All I have is the address of the party last night” she shrugs. “Would you mind giving it to me? I’ve been trying to get a hold of Sydney for a while.” I say. “Sure thing” she says pulling out her phone and some scrap paper before scribbling down the address. “You aren’t like a creeper or something or a stalker right?” the brunette asks. “Nope just a friend who lost contact” I reply. She looks at me for a second then at Calum and shrugs any misgivings off. The waitress hands me the address then proceeds to take our breakfast order.