Chapter 11

Luke’s Point of View

          I couldn’t get to sleep. My mind kept running in circles. I would think about my mum, then Sydney, then about my friends back home, then Sydney, then I would think about what kind of job I would have had, then about Sydney. It always seemed that no matter how hard I tried to push her out of my mind I would always find myself thinking about her. The rest of the boys were asleep so I decided to do something I know they would have made fun of me for had they been awake. I decided to look for her on twitter. I looked up Sydney Highland but there were so many options. It’s going to take forever to look through all these. The first ten weren’t her and I was starting to wonder if she even had a twitter. I kept looking until the process lulled me to sleep.

          I woke up the next morning feeling the effects of a sleepless night, but life goes on especially when you are on tour. “Morning Lukey” Calum says when I enter the little kitchen area of the bus. “Morning Cal” I say half asleep. “I just found out that we have some special guests coming to our concert tomorrow” He says. “Really who?” I ask becoming more alert with interest. “Just our five favorite lads stopping by to see how we are doing” he says. He must be referring to One Direction. “Cool. I’m glad they get to see how far we have come. I’ve missed those guys” I say thinking back to the Take Me Home Tour. “Me too. You need to hurry up and eat breakfast though. We have a busy day ahead of us.” He says. “Don’t we always” I say before pouring myself a bowl of cereal.

Sydney’s Point of View

          Maggie was fast asleep beside me in the attic. We had stayed up late while she told me all about her trip to London. She showed me pictures of her new bedroom and her house and she told me all about the city and how different the weather was there. She seemed excited to now be living in London and she even almost made me want to move there. But now that she was asleep my thoughts of London faded into thoughts of Luke. Had he really put his phone number into my phone? Does he have my number? Should I text him? I quickly decided not to text him, but my mind kept going over what I would say if I did. My thoughts ranged from ‘Hey Sexy remember me?’ to ‘You probably don’t remember me but I’m Sydney that blonde girl you met after your concert at Starbucks’ but I never actually thought of sending them. He probably wouldn’t even reply anyway.

          I woke up the next morning surprisingly at the same time as Maggie. We ate a quick breakfast of toaster waffles and got dressed and ready. I kept my outfit simple with a white V-neck tee, short denim shorts that were a bit worn looking and my favorite red Toms. Maggie threw her dirty blonde hair up into a messy bun and wore a sea foam green racer back tank top, black running shorts, and her trusty flip flops. We headed over to our best friend Ryan’s house and were met by several members of the baseball team. “Hey Mags!” Ryan called out across the room as we entered his house. All the other boys raced to greet her and I found my way over to Ryan. “I told them you and Maggie were coming over here today so they invited themselves over to see you guys.” He explains while propping his feet on the coffee table. “I see that. Got any soda?” I ask looking around the room. “Yeah you know where we keep it” he says gesturing toward the garage door. I get up and make my way to the garage and grab myself a Coke before heading back to the party. “Hey Syd the guys just invited us to the batting cages. What do you say? It’d be just like old times.” Maggie says walking over to me. I think back to when Maggie, Ryan, Jason, and I used to spend hours at the batting cages and just goof off. Soon some of the freshmen boys who looked up to Jason started following us there and it kind of became a team tradition. “Yeah sure. Grab some snacks though.” I say before the guys cheer and raid Ryan’s pantry.