Chapter 4

Sydney’s Point of View

          They probably think I’m so weird right now. Like I had a freaking problem with watching a completely innocent baseball movie. I knew it wouldn’t be pretty if I did though. Luke was there for me though. He was sitting pretty close to me and I kind of liked it. I watched them grow tired one by one. At the end of the movie I looked over at Luke and he smiled a tired smile. “Tired Luke?” I ask. “Just a bit. We did a lot today” he replies yawning. “So what exactly does a day in the life of Luke Hemmings consist of?” I ask him as I turn my body to face him. “Well there isn’t really a typical day. Now that we are touring it’s a bit more scheduled now, but it changes a good bit.” He replies. “So when do you guys leave again?” I asked kind of dreading the answer. “We leave tomorrow morning” he replies biting his lip. “Well I guess I better be going then so you guys can get some sleep.” I say talking to the whole group this time. “Here I’ll walk you back to your room” Luke says getting up.

Luke’s Point of View

          We finally reached Sydney’s room and I was sad to see her leave. I’m not sure exactly what it is, but there is something special about her. When I saw her in the crowd at the concert I could just sense it. Probably sounds strange. “So get some sleep Hemmings” she says as she opens her door. “But I’m not tired” I whine. “But you have a big day ahead of you mister” she says in a motherly voice. I give her my best puppy dog face. “Fine. You’re good Hemmings. I suppose you could hang out in my room for a little while if you’d like” she suggests shyly. I don’t say anything before I quickly enter the room. “I’ll take that as a yes” she giggles. “So how are you planning on entertaining me?” I ask. “Well we could watch some television, we could watch YouTube videos, or we could just listen to music and talk.” She suggests taking a seat on the bed. I could tell she was more comfortable around me now. “I like option three” I say taking a seat next to her. “Okay so what do you want to listen to and what do you want to talk about?” Sydney asks. “I’m cool with whatever you want to listen to and whatever you want to talk about.” I say. “Luke we could go back and forth all night before one of us picks something so you are going to pick something to listen to. You can pick from my music, Pandora, or you can play something off your phone if you would like.” She says tossing me her phone. I grab her phone and quickly add myself as a contact before picking some All Time Low to play. “So what do you want to talk about?” she asks as she sits Indian style on the bed. “Well we could start with why you didn’t want to watch The Sandlot” I suggest hoping she is up for the topic. I hope it’s not anything touchy or anything. “It just reminds me of somebody and it’s hard to watch it without missing him that’s all” she says kind of dancing around the subject. I decide not to take it any further. “I can see how that would make you not want to watch it.” I say reassuringly. “Hey Luke, can I ask you a question?” She asks. “Well you kind of just did, but yeah sure” I reply. Just then we hear this loud noise come from the bathroom. Sydney jumps a bit and I sit there frozen. “What was that?” I ask her. “I have no idea” she replies sort of freaked out. “Here let me check it out” I say getting off the bed. I slowly make my way into the bathroom and do a thorough scan. I see nothing. I poke around a bit and still don’t see anything suspicious. “I didn’t see anything” I say as I return to Sydney. “Luke I’m pretty freaked out right now. Like what if it is a murderer who is really good at hiding.” She says. “Well if you want you can come and stay in my room with Calum and me” I suggest. I’m sure Cal won’t mind. “I don’t want to disturb Calum. I’m sure I’ve been enough of a bother already.” She says. “You haven’t been a bother” I say. “But you don’t have to stay with us if you don’t want to” I quickly add because I don’t want to pressure her. “Actually Luke would you mind staying in here with me tonight. I’m sure the murderer won’t come if he sees you here.” She says. I wasn’t exactly sure if my presence would ward off a murderer, but I’m sure it was nothing to be concerned about and if it makes Sydney more comfortable then I’m in. Plus it just means I get to spend more time with her. “Yeah sure. I’ll stay up here tonight if you want me too.” I say giving her a smile. She smiles back a small smile. I’m a little happier about tonight than I probably should be.