Chapter 3

Sydney’s Point of View

          “Mom?” I ask once I hear the phone being picked up on the line. “No, it’s Bri. Mom is asleep. Is everything alright?” the voice of my sister says through the phone. “I’m fine, but I’m going to have to stay the night here in town. It’s too late to drive back.” I say to her. “Okay be safe Syd. Oh, and text me the name of the hotel and the address. Just in case something happens.” My worried sister says. “I will. Thanks Bri” I say. “Be safe.” she says before hanging up. I quietly make my way back to my seat. “Hey Sydney if you are staying in town tonight you should stay in the same hotel as us.” Luke suggests. I hesitate. “Uh yeah sure. Where is the hotel you guys are staying at?” I ask. “Just around the corner. You can just follow us there if you would like.” Ashton suggests. “Sounds good, thanks.” I reply. We finish up our drinks and I follow Ashton’s car to the hotel. I text my sister all the necessary details once we arrive. The boys help me get checked in and drop me off at my room. “Calum I don’t want to go to sleep after this. I’m not even tired.” Michael whines to Calum. “Same here mate” Ashton says. “We could have a movie night in your room Cal” Michael suggests. “Yeah and Sydney could join us if she would like.” Luke suggests. “Yeah sounds great” Calum says excitedly. “Hey Syd…ney Sydney, want to join us?” Luke asks. “You can call me Syd if you want and I think I’ll pass. I don’t want to intrude.” I say chucking my bag on my bed. I was met by a chorus of ‘please Sydney’, ‘you aren’t intruding’, and ‘we’d love to have you over’ all being said by all the guys simultaneously. “You sure?” I ask. “Yes, now come on. The elevator is here!” Luke says grabbing my elbow and leading me out of my room (I closed the door on my way out) and to the elevator.

Ashton’s Point of View

          We took Sydney up to Luke and Calum’s room and we all flopped down on the beds. “You know you can relax around us. You don’t have to have manners or be polite or anything.” Luke says to Sydney who was sitting up straight on the foot of the bed. “Yeah see” I say before letting out a massive burp. “So now that you know we’re comfortable around you, you can be comfortable around us.” I say simply. “Thanks Ash” she says relaxing a bit. “So Sydney as our guest of honor what would you like to watch?”  Michael asks her. “I’m up for anything really, with a few exceptions” she says. “Well how about The Sandlot?” Calum suggests. I see the color drain from her face. “That’s the baseball movie right?” she asks in a quiet voice. “Yeah” I say as Luke scoots closer to her. “We don’t have to watch it if you don’t want to” Luke says. “Thanks. I’d rather not watch it if that’s okay with you guys” she says. “Yeah that’s totally fine.” Michael says. “How about something fairly recent” Sydney suggests. “Yeah sure, does Iron Man 3 work?” I say as Michael looks through the movie selection. “Sounds great” Sydney says. The color has returned to her face and she and Luke are sitting pretty close together.