Chapter 7

Luke’s Point of View

          Sydney and I rush into the breakfast area to see Michael sitting alone eating toast at a big table. “Look who finally decided to show up” Michael says as we approach. “Yeah sorry. I slept through all the phone calls.” I say before taking a seat. “Where are the other guys?” Sydney asks. “Ashton is getting another bowl of cereal and Calum is at the waffle maker.” Michael says while pointing to the other two boys. “There is a waffle maker! I’m so there!” Sydney says excitedly before running off to join Calum at the waffle maker. “So you and Sydney” Michael says while giving me a suggestive wink. “No it wasn’t like that. I walked her up to her room and while we were talking up there we heard a loud noise and she got scared so I offered to have her stay in my room. She didn’t want to wake up Calum so I stayed with her to make her feel better and so the murderer wouldn’t come and kill her in her sleep.” I explain to Michael. “Sure that’s what happened.” Michael says before taking a bite of his toast. I roll my eyes at him before taking his other piece. “Hey that’s mine” Michael protests. “Not anymore” I say with my mouth full of toast. “It just isn’t the same without vegemite.” Michael says. “The struggle is real” I say before taking another bite. “Hey Luke. Sleep well?” Ashton says winking as he takes a seat next to Michael. “Ash you know it wasn’t like that. She heard a noise in the room and got scared and asked me to stay with her. We even slept in separate beds.” I say trying to squash any rumors before they get started. “I’m just teasing you Luke. But it’s so obvious you like her. You should probably tone it down. It’s probably a turn off.” Ashton says. “Oh shut it Ashton. I’m not nearly as bad as you were with Brittany last spring.” I say throwing it back at him. “Are we talking about the Brittany Ashton was all over last spring?” Calum says joining our conversation. He takes a seat between Michael and me before starting to eat his waffle. “Yeah. I remember all the letters they used to write each other.” Michael adds. “And he would never let us read them” Calum says. “You guys read them anyways. I know Michael raided my drawer where I kept them.” Ashton says. “Kept what?” Sydney asks as she takes a seat at the round table between Ashton and me. “Just his love letters” Calum says. “Love letters? Ashton I didn’t know you have a girlfriend.” Sydney says. “She wasn’t ever technically my girlfriend.” Ashton clarifies. “Ashton really liked her, but she wouldn’t go out with him because she knew he was going to have to leave for tour soon.” I say. “Aw that’s so sad. Well you can do so much better than a girl who won’t date you because of your career. Just remember that a girl who only dates you for your career is worse.” Sydney says. “I’ll keep that in mind” Ashton says. “Luke aren’t you going to get anything to eat?” Sydney asks me. “I had some of Mikey’s toast. Without vegemite, I might add.” I say. “Gross.” Ashton says. He really likes vegemite. “Here have some of my waffle” Sydney says before tearing a big piece of her waffle off and tossing it to me. “Thanks Syd” I say before eating the delicious waffle.

Sydney’s Point of View

          After eating breakfast with the boys Luke walks me up to my room. “You know you really didn’t have to do everything you did.” I say to Luke once we reach the door to the room. “I know, but I wanted to. I’m really glad I got to meet you and get to know you a little bit.” Luke says smiling. “I’m glad I got to spend a bit of time with you.” I say smiling. Luke opens his mouth to say something, but closes it quickly. “Bye Luke” I say going to give him a hug. It was a comfortable hug, but when we pulled apart Luke pulled me in for a kiss I was not expecting. “Bye Sydney” he says before walking down the hall to the elevator. I just stand there with my mouth wide open not processing what just happened. I’m pretty sure he just kissed me. I mean I kind of had a hint that he liked me, but I would never have guessed he would kiss me. And out of all times too! Like who thinks it’s a good idea to spring that on somebody right before you leave. I decided to push it out of my head and return to my room to pack my stuff up.

          I check out of the hotel and make the long drive back home. “Hey Syd how was the concert?” my sister Savanna asks me once I arrive. “Good. I got to meet the band afterwards actually and I got to hang out with one of the guitarists Luke for a bit. That was nice.” I reply cracking a slight smile. “Good. I’m happy you had some fun for a change.” She says happily. “Don’t get used to it. Things like that only happen once in a lifetime and I just used my opportunity.” I say before going up the stairs to our shared bedroom to take a nap.