Chapter 18

Calum’s Point of View

          I slid onto a barstool next to Luke and poured myself a bowl of cereal. “Nice hair” he said ruffling my bedhead. “You too mate” I said returning the gesture. “So I was thinking about our plans for the day” he starts. “Yeah” I mumble with a mouthful of cereal. “Well I figured we could hang out with some of our friends for most of the day because we haven’t seen them in forever, then we could have dinner with my family, then we could finish up the phonebooks tonight. How’s that sound?” he asked. “Sounds good. I have a question though.” I say as I gather a spoonful. “Shoot” he says before taking a sip of his orange juice.  “What if you go through all this effort and when you finally find her she doesn’t want you?” I ask plainly. “I don’t like to think about that, but I have to know, you know. I can’t be the only one of us who felt the spark. I just have to put myself out there or I will be stuck with regrets” he says. “Fair enough” I say before we finish our breakfast and get ready.

          We spent the majority of the day catching up with old high school friends and you wouldn’t believe how much can change in such a short period of time. The cutest couple of our school broke up about a month ago, the librarian died, and my seventh grade history teacher just had her third child. I think it would be nice one day to settle down and have a family of my own, but not now with my fast paced musical career. We then headed over to the Hemmings house for a lovely lasagna dinner and pleasant conversation. I always loved it at the Hemmings house. Everything always seemed so put together, like a television family or something.

          “Would you boys like to stay the night here?” Liz asked as Luke and I helped her clear the table. “Cal doesn’t have any of his things and I have most of my stuff there too” Luke says. “Well you could always just swing by Calum’s house and then come back. I miss having you boys around. The house is always so quiet now with no covers being played or loud laughter. The house seems too big without you boys here” she says attempting to be lighthearted but Luke and I easily saw through that. Luke and I both looked at each other and knew we were thinking the same thing. It was kind of a pain to lug all our stuff here from my house, but we were going to do it anyways because it would mean the world to Liz. “We’d be happy to run by my place and pick up our stuff and stay the night here” I say. “Great! Well you might want to hurry before it gets dark” she says releasing us from our cleaning duties. “Thanks Liz for having us” I call as Luke and I exit the house.

Sydney’s Point of View

          I held my camera up to my face as I snapped the perfect picture of Savannah and her boyfriend Charlie laughing. “You know you can’t hide behind your camera all night.” Ryan says from behind me. “Yes I can” I say turning to face him. I hold the camera up and take a close up picture of Ryan. “I’m sure it’s so worth missing the party to have lovely pictures of my face so close up” Ryan says pushing the camera down from my face. “You know I prefer to see life through the lens of a camera” I say. “I know, but for once can’t you live life instead of trying to capture it” he pleads. “Fine” I say handing him my camera. He takes it and carefully puts it away before turning back to me. A slow song came on and couples rushed to find each other. “Care to dance with me” Ryan asks as he extends his hand to me. I take it and he leads us out to the dance floor. “You look nice tonight by the way” he says just loud enough for us to hear. “Thanks, you don’t look to bad yourself” I say. He thanks me and we continue to dance to the music. “This is a nice party you and Bri put together” I say looking around me. “Thank you. Most of it was Sabrina. You weren’t kidding when you said she loves to plan parties” he says as a smile plays upon his lips. “I wish I had my camera right now” I say as my eyes focus in on what would have been the perfect shot of Maggie and one of the underclassmen baseball players stumbling over each other’s feet. “Sydney, sometimes I wish I could see the world the way you do” Ryan says. “You wouldn’t like it.” I say quickly. “You just have a way of living outside the world, like nothing touches you” he continues. “I wasn’t always that way” I reply quietly. “I know” he says looking deep into my eyes. The song ends and we pull apart and I rush back to my camera.