13 | a golden glare

Start from the beginning

It was just little things but I appreciate it. He made me feel like I wasn't away from my extravagant life.

Acrylic brought me to a French restaurant. The place was small compared to what I was used to but the ambiance was nice. Everything looked vintage with red curtains hanging from the big glass windows. We went to a table he reserved.

While we were waiting for the food to arrive, AC talked about his upcoming fight. He also talked about Taylor. It turned out that Taylor was the only family he had left. His mother passed away when he was young.

I listened to his stories while nodding occasionally. I couldn't share my own story because it'd be full of lies.

"Here are your orders, sir." The waiter placed different kinds of French food in front of us. I could identify all of them but I kept quiet.

It'd be bad if I'm proficient in French. So before Acrylic could ask me a question about my preferences, I changed the topic into something that bothered me for a while now.

"AC, if you don't mind me asking, why do you hate Colt? You're practically brothers," I asked him.

Acrylic was startled but he answered my question. "I don't hate him. I just hate the fact that he's taking our family for granted. He was 19 when dad found him. He overdosed. Dad did everything to return him to normal and as days passed, he opened up to him. I didn't mind Colt's presence since it means that I get to have a brother. But that didn't happen."

He shook his head as if he couldn't fathom the words he was going to say. "He was okay after a year, talented even, but there are times when he goes missing. We thought that was just a phase, of him adjusting to us but it continued until now. Sometimes, he would be gone for a year and that would make dad worried sick. I hate him for that attitude."

I bit my lip in understanding. He was drugged. What the hell happened to him?

"Priz, come on. I'm the one who's in front of you," AC muttered when he saw my curious-filled expression. I glimpsed at him to see a mournful smile on his face.

"I'm sorry. I was just..."

What is it Caprice? What?

"It's okay." AC gave me a mischievous smile. "Just give me a kiss."

I laughed quietly. "You've got a lot of nerve."

Acrylic shook his head in glee. "Please?"

My mouth was about to open for an answer when somebody hit my chair as they were passing by. It caused my wine glass to topple and spilled its contents on me.

"Hey, watch it," I exclaimed, standing up as a reflex.

"I didn't see you."

I stared at him with my mouth wide open. "What are you doing here?!"

Colt smirked. "What? You're the only one allowed here?"

My teeth clenched and it was then that I noticed a woman beside him. I eyed her with interest. She clutched Colt's arm firmly making her huge breast pressed up against his sturdy arm. The woman stared back at me with wide indigo eyes. I have to admit that she was very pretty especially with the blonde curls framing her face.

"Oh, so you're on a date?" I asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Yes, what a coincidence, right?"

I scoffed. "Yeah, coincidence really likes us."

After giving him and his date a haughty grin, I turned my back. I pulled the chair back to sit when Colt seized my arm. "Wait."

Giving him a nasty glare, I freed my arm from his grasp. I bumped into a waiter as I did this. Unfortunately, he was holding a tray full of bowls of hot soup.