twenty nine;

isabelle;

jack continues to stare off into the distance, but it's not like he's in a trance. it's like he's talking to someone – through eye contact.

"i'll be right back." he abruptly says, standing from his chair and walking to the location his stares were directing to.

johnson and sammy clear their throats, causing me to suddenly look at them.

"what?" i ask, my eyes looking back and forth at the two, "you guys know something. or, you're trying to hide something." both of them stay silent, until i raise my voice, "tell me."

sammy nods, "johnson... tell her."

"um, we uh... we think jack's been..." my eyes widen as i immediately know what they mean. johnson and sammy both grow silent and more tense at my evident anger.

i'm not "sad". i'm mad. furious, actually.

"where the fuck did he go, jack?" i look straight at johnson. he looks at me like a deer in headlights, before stuttering and spitting out a response.

"he went out those doors. where next, i don't know." he shrugs, nervousness evident in his eyes.

i shake my head, standing from my seat. with my phone in my bag, i dig my phone out of the treasure box – since all female's bags are like that – and take hold of his phone as well.

"where are you going?" sammy asks me.

i sigh, "going to find him."

"i'll come with you." he abruptly stands, "please?" his eyes pleading for me to say yes, but i say no.

"you can't, sam. i'm sorry, but please... let me handle this?" i slightly smile, my anger then overpowering it and leading me out the same back doors jack used to exit.

wherever he went, he can't get far. we didn't take his car, we took johnson's. johnson has his keys, so there is no vehicle for him to take.

unless someone picked him up, my subconscious decides to add in.

"fuck." i mumble.

as i'm walking, i know i hear footsteps, but i ignore it and continue to walk.

"cute thing like you shouldn't be roaming the streets alone, especially with someone like me out at night." the person speaks from behind me.

isabelle, you know that voice. he won't hurt you. you know that voice. you know it! my subconscious practically screams at me.

"who are you?" i practically laugh at their pathetic way of trying to scare me.

the person, who is familiar, chuckles lowly, "i can tell by your pretty little face, you know who i am." he steps closer to me, placing his rough hand on my cheek, "you always will be mine, isabelle. not jack's." he says, disgust laced in his voice when mentioning jack.

"yeah, whatever. i don't even know who you are?" as soon as my voice stops taking, i know i made a mistake. talking back to this person, was a mistake.

he laughed, "sure thing, babygirl." he says. though i could tell that the familiar voice was impaired as they slurred. they had already walked away, but i kept replaying the words said and the deep, slurred voice.

babygirl...

jack doesn't usually call me that. there's only one person who ever has.

nate.