Chapter 114 ~ Don't Go Giving Up On Her

Start from the beginning

At this, Sakumo smiled, but it quickly vanished at the seriousness of his next words.

"Don't give up on her."

Kakashi stared at his father.

"I know it hurts, I know you wish you could just give up, but you can't. You can't go giving up on her, and you can't give up on yourself either."

"She needs you Kakashi, now more then ever." Sakumo smiled.

"Save her Kakashi, save Rieka."

Before Kakashi could utter a reply, everything began to fade, the campfire flickered out as Sakumo smiled, bidding his silent farewells to his son.

"Save Rieka."

Hatake Sakumo was gone.

::

"Kakashi!"

::

Kakashi found himself once more the sea of darkness, floating above the water, slowly hovering down until he touched ground.

Rieka slowly merged into view. She was young, as she appeared before. Barely twelve.

She had her back to him, hands clasped behind her hips as she seemed to gaze upon a future he could never see. 

A horizon he could never reach.

That's how it was, that's how it always would be. Rieka was so far ahead. Kakashi could only stare at her back. Chasing after the girl he would never catch.

He would never stop chasing her.

Right...?

But as he stared at her back, not even bothering to step forward, he began to question his words. 

Maybe he should stop chasing her? Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe, Rieka was just always going to be ahead of him.

Maybe Kakashi should give up.

Don't give up on her.

It was easier said then done, as no matter how hard he-

Kakashi's eyes widened. Light began to form in the smallest of glimpses, flickering into life in the form of a pair of eyes.

Green eyes to be exact.

As slowly, that green eyed girl, with those green eyes he had always loved.

Turned to face him.

There was no more need for chasing, no more need for dreaming, no more need for the struggle. Because Rieka would wait for Kakashi, no matter how long it would take.

He only had to save her.

Save her Kakashi, save Rieka.

And save her he would.

::

"Kakashi!"

::

His eyes slowly peered open, the sunlight glaring down at him as he took a moment to adjust, slowly focusing on the figure before him.

Green eyes. Brown hair. Pale skinned and a gobsmacked expression.

It was Rieka, and she was facing him.

"Rieka..." She didn't reply, instantly vanishing in a swirl of leaves.

Kakashi caught the faintest of relief on her face.