Chapter Thirty-Eight

Jade stretched out in her bed, the blackout curtains used to keep her apartment dark while she slept during the day, making the apartment a dull grey. She turned to see her cellphone, knowing that if she pulled back the curtains, a bright sunlit day would blind her eyes. The night had been long and busy, even before her night cap with Branden. Saturday nights normally were busy, filled to capacity in all areas of the club. But Sunday's were the day of rest, and chores. She climbed out of her bed with a lazy groan before making her way through to her bathroom where she showered and changed into comfy lounge wear.

As if like clockwork her phone rang, always the same time each Sunday. As she lifted the basket against her hip with one arm, she answered the call with her free hand. Not needing to check the caller ID to know it would be Aimi. The teenager called each Sunday, just after 2 pm when she knew Jade would be awake, and if she wasn't Aimi would gladly wake her.

"Hey." Jade couldn't help the smile on her lips as she greeted the other, Aimi had grown to be a good friend, someone that Jade hoped when it was all done and over would remain in her life.

"I so hate wedding planning. Who knew there were so many choices to be made about what kind of flowers to use?" She groaned a greeting when she heard Jade's voice. Jade laughed softly, carrying her basket down to the shared laundry room in the apartment building. Each week the conversation consisted of minute complaints from Aimi about the planning of her wedding to Zander. They were only three months away from the day.

"Isn't Cam supposed to be making these choices with you or for you?" Jade knew that the other girl had been planning the wedding for Aimi, since Aimi hated planning events. Aimi groaned again just as Jade entered the laundry room, tossing her first load into the washer.

"She is. She's the one that is showing me fifty different arrangements. Mind you, this is after she has weeded through them and selected only her favorites. Who has fifty favorites?!" Jade tried to not laugh at the pain that was Aimi's wedding planning. She did not envy the girl this task, it seemed to be more work than needed, at least according to Aimi.

"Maybe she could narrow down the selections to ten for you instead?" Jade tried to offer, being cheerful as she made her way back to her apartment. Aimi groaned again.

The conversation continued that way for a good hour, Jade folding her laundry and changing out loads as she chatted with Aimi. Aimi told her all the pack news; Megan was three months pregnant, Sara was one. It seemed as if it was going to be a busy time for the family with 8 children running around all under the age of 8. But they all seemed to be excited about it, couldn't wait to add more to the already complex family tree.

By the time the conversation had ended, Jade's laundry was done and she was ready to leave to shop for the week. Before she could step out of her apartment, her phone rang, Loco calling as he did every Sunday. She answered and sat back down on the couch, ready to have a short chat with him and his Jo.

"Hey, Loco." Jade answered, curling her feet under her as she got comfortable.

"Hey, how's it going?" He asked, his voice deep and intimidating, but that was only if a person didn't know who Loco really was. He was a teddy bear, a giant teddy bear, with a big growl.

"Going good. Work is well, work. How about you and Jo?" She wanted to ask about Dominik as she always did, but she didn't. If he had wanted her to know, he would be telling her himself. Instead the man continued to not call her, see her, or communicate at all. She didn't think he was hurt or dead, Gina would have said something if that were the case, or at least pulled her out so she could carry on with her life. Without Dominik, there was no point to the plan.