Chapter Three

Dominik hated Saturday's. It was the busiest night at the club with even more drunks than usual. It was also the night the guys came out looking for prey and the girls came out looking for bank rolls. On the bright side for him, was how much money the club made on Saturday nights. Especially if he had VIP's.

He took the regular route to the club, same as he did every night. Stopping at the coffee shop to pick up his order. He wasn't expecting to see what he did though, and stopped short as he stared. Staring was rude, but there was no other action he could take that made sense. In front of the coffee shop, bundled up in many layers of oversized clothes, sat the girl with the cat eyes. She was just sitting on the ground without a care in the world, not begging or bothering anyone. Just minding her own business as if she had every right to be there and no one could tell her otherwise.

He walked up to her slowly, carefully watching her to make sure she wouldn't see him as a threat. He knew she was nothing more than a human by just the smell of her. So, he knew her hearing wouldn't be able to pick up the noise of his feet falling. When he got right next to her she looked up at him with her pretty eyes and just stared.

"The park wasn't good enough after all?" He asked her in his deep rumble of a voice.

"Too many people during the day, they always think I am trying to do something bad." She said and part of him got the impression she was nothing more than a child.

"Are you?" He asked her and watched in silent amusement the way her eyes got wide at his question, almost as if in shock he would dare to ask.

"You are just like everyone else." She said annoyed and started to stand. He just watched her, wondering how much those layers of clothes hid.

"I can promise you, I am not like everyone else." He told her and heard the soft mumble of a "yeah sure". He mentally laughed as he watched her, knowing she had no clue he could hear her.

"What's your name?" He asked her and watched as she turned around to face him, a few strands of her light hair falling loose from the hoodie she wore.

"What's it to you?" She asked him right back and he fought the urge to laugh. She had fire in her and it only made him wonder how long she had been living on the streets.

"No wonder people always think you are doing something bad, you can't even tell when someone is trying to be nice to you." He told her and began to walk inside the coffee shop.

"Jade." She called out to him before he could close the door. He stepped back out into the cooling air and looked at her.

"You hungry, Jade?" He asked her and again watched in amusement at her eyes. So, expressive.

"A little." He nodded and held the door open for her to walk in front of him. She walked into the coffee shop and both were instantly greeted by Mrs. Anderson.

"Well, isn't this a nice surprise. Well, not you Dominik, but the young lady." She said already pulling out his sweets for his order.

"What would you like, Jade?" Dominik asked the girl and watched as she looked over the trays and trays of baked goods.

When was the last time she even ate?

Dominik thought to himself as he watched her. He never cared about people so the thought surprised him. But it was a true thought, a real thought. She had hunted his thoughts since he met her and he had no idea why. Maybe it was her voice, or those eyes. Or maybe it was something else that he tried to not voice.

"A Danish." She finally spoke up, pointing slightly at the cheese one on the tray. Dominik nodded to Mrs. Anderson then held up his fingers telling her to add three to his order. She smiled and nodded to him once and began to make quick work of it.