Chapter 37 - Like A Thousand Bucks

Start from the beginning

After my hair is dried, I hang the hairdryer back on the hook and style my hair.

At least I don't look like death.

I shrug a shoulder at my reflection and turn out the light before walking out of the loo. Letting out a few coughs, I walk over to my side of the bed. I grab a few lozenges from my nightstand and put them in my pocket for later, taking one now. As I pop the menthol drop in my mouth, the sunlight coming through the window catches my attention.

It's a beautiful Saturday morning and I wish I could take my lovely family on a picnic, but I don't feel one-hundred percent.

Huffing out a breath, I unplug my phone from the charger and put it in my pocket before stripping our bed of its, as my wife so lovingly called them, infested sheets.

Bundling them in my arms, I make my way out of our bedroom and as soon as I open the door, I hear my family. Instead of giggles I hear cries and I sigh heavily, knowing that Bea will love my kid-free weekend plan.

I walk down the hall to the laundry closet and as I drop the sheets in the washing machine, I listen to Bea kindly tell Ferris not to hit. By the time I add detergent, Ferris is screaming at the top of her lungs and I hear Bea mention Time Out.

I close the lid and sigh, imagining how frustrated Bea is right now. While I love my daughter and want her to stay little forever, I could live without the temper tantrums.

She gets that from her mum.

I smirk and turn the dial to Hot and start the cycle before walking towards Ferris' room. I stop just before I get to the door because I don't want to distract Ferris while she's being punished. Her cries break my heart, and nearly my eardrums, while Bea calmly explains, again, that we don't hit.

"Okay, Ferris, are you going to be a good girl and listen to Mommy from now on?" Bea kindly asks and Ferris lets out a shaky 'yeah.'

I smile to myself as an image of my daughter pops in my head. She's probably still in her pajamas, her curls are probably all over the place and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she's sucking her thumb right now.

"Alright, sweet girl, let's go get Baby Brother," Bea says and I stand up from leaning against the wall just as the light turns off and my girls walk out of the room. "Oh my God!" Bea exclaims, placing her hand on her heart. "You scared the crap out of me, Harry."

"I'm sorry, Love. I didn't mean to," I apologize and my smile fades when I notice how tired she looks.

Bea is still in her pink bathrobe and her hair is basically piled on top of her head, but she's still the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

"Dadda!" Ferris hugs my leg and I lean down to pat her back. She looks up at me with her big blue eyes, lifting her arms. "Hold you, Dadda."

"I'm sorry, Love, but I'm still sick," I kindly explain but my excuse doesn't work.

Ferris starts whining just as Seb's cries come through the baby monitor that Bea is holding.

Then it hits me.

"Why are you girls up here anyway?" I ask, still soothing Ferris' back. "I thought you slept downstairs."

"We did," Bea sighs, glancing down with a sad smile, "but we had a little accident this morning."

I follow Bea's eyes and look down at our daughter who is clinging to my leg. With that and Time Out, my little girl has had a rough morning.

"I have to get Sebastian's bottle ready," Bea unenthusiastically says and I look up as she starts walking down the hall.